Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know not strictly Alfa, but the engine is at least an Alfa lump....

I've got a couple of Lancia Beta HPEs, quite rare cars these days owing to the rust issues of the 80s.....

Anyway, Both have the 2litre Lancia engines, and both are knacked - long story short one isn't going anywhere and the other is knocking. One of the HPEs has mint body, the other not so mint, and as a bit of a project (understatement) I've recently picked up a V plate 166 (3ltr, 24V) which is mechanically sound, but an MOT failure on a few bits and bobs - thanks Adrian at Alfa-Aid for the cracking deal.

Anyway, the plan is to drop the 3ltr V6 into the clean Beta, and use the parts from the other Beta to get the good one into tip top shape.....wish us luck.

Oh and PS - it's been done before, I've seen a 164 3 litre in a Beta, working, but it was a lot of work.

Alex.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
IMO, spend the time and money tidying up the 166. Take the engine out of the HPE and rebuild it, that way it remains original and retains any value. You then have two potential classics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about that yeah, but the 166 is not a particularly tidy or high end example and I never did like the look of the rev 1 166. I'm not sure how many parts we will need to borrow off the Lancia - I may put the V6 in the slightly messier one, and keep the (almost mint) one for a restoration project somewhere down the line. Just wanted a mad project to keep me busy for a year or so.....

·
Registered
551 Posts
It'll do that - keep you busy - I looked at putting a 2.5 V6 from a 155 in an HPE but decided to go for a 'hot' rebuild of the original twincam as the V6 transplant was beyond my fabrication skills and budget. It's been done a couple of times, I do know the guy who bought one of my old HPEs (many moons ago now) went down the V6 conversion route but I believe he passed away before completing the project.
Best of luck with what you decide to go with:thumbs:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts