Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may remember my earlier post about head gasket troubles, well I am toying with the idea if just swapping the whole engine. The question is, will a 1.8 TS be a straight swap for the 2 litre TS that is currently in there. Only reason I ask is that I have the offer of a 1.8 for peanuts. Will gearbix, electronics etc etc all be ok?

Cheers

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
You might need a 1.8 ecu ... tried the search on here?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Id just run it with the 2.0l ecu.
If you can run the 2.0 on the 1.6 then the 1.8 should be fine.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Physically no problem with the swap, particularly if the same specification (ie CF2 or CF3 as appropriate) is used - if you use different versions, just swap the bare engine and keep all the anciliaries from the 2.0.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone fir he info so far. One question how do I know the difference between cf1 cf2 and cf3 engines? The engine in the car is original, so 2001 on a Y plate. The 1.8 is also 2001 but in a 51 plate. Does that mean they will be the same cf series?

Cheers

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Both just about on the cusp.....easiest identification is that CF2 has the straightforward exhaust downpipe, the CF3 has the twin mini-cats in the downpipe....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. It turns out looking at the engines, I have a cf2 at the mo and the new engine is a cf3. Reading the replies it would seem that there would be no problem in swapping a cf2 2 litre for a cf3 1.8. Is that right?

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts