Alfa Romeo Forum banner

engine temperatures gtv 2.0TS

4K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  itye 
#1 ·
hello all,

I have a 2.0 GTV (nov 2003)

hope someone can help,

recently ive noticed that when stationery my temperature rises to about 100, the fan then cuts in and reduces it to about 91-92.

Is this normal ? I thought before that the fan cut in at around 90, unless i was imagining it. is it normal for the fan to cut in at 100 when stationery or should it cut in at around 90?

many thanks , this is a great forum

#8 ·
thanks eau rouge for your reply,

does anyone know anyone who can do this near cardiff or if it is a job that can be done without a garage and if so is it easy to do?

Many Thanks for all your replies, this forum is so helpful, much appreciated

#9 · (Edited)
If you look behind your radiator (ie: Pop your bonnet) You should see two fans if your car has aircon? The bottom fan resistor is the achilles heel as it is most exposed to the elements. If you follow the loom to the the fan from loom ( It should/would normally be wrapped in hard corrugated plastic) Remove the electrical plug from fan and see if this connection is in good condition as most turn to mush over time. 2 x screws hold the resistor to the radiator/fan housing the same housing that the loom connects to. Take the two screws out and remove the resistor. It should be a greeny plastc material, if its burnt it will be fairly discoloured, if so replace and if the electrical connection is mush, rebond a new connection. Its relatively easy fix its just the resistors are becoming increasingly harder to come by these days. If you go to a scrapper be sure to remove the resistor from the top fan as these are generally not affected by the road elements such as water.

#13 ·
Are you sure its not sitting at the "80" mark, as this is normal for a phase 1. If not check your thermo is working (early "infant" faliures are possible with any device...) by waiting for engine to warm up and holding the top radiator hose until it opens.

so would i need to replace thermo or resistor?
Resistor, yes, located centrally between the 2 fans are the 2 resistors. Top and bottom. You need a short phillips screwdriver to unscrew and remove these resistors.

I might have a couple of spares if you need one.

Thermostat controls how cold the engine gets (83 deg Ph1, 86(?) deg Ph2,3)
Radiator fans control how hot the engine gets (~90 for slow fan speed ~100 for fast)

#15 ·
drove again this morning and it went past the 90 mark to around 100 again before the fan kicked in to reduce it to about 92-95...im sure fan used to kick in at around 90 but not anymore. how do i know which phase my gtv is? It was manufactured round november 2003. its a 2.0 TS. Thanks to everyone the replies I'm a computer tech not a mechanic so its been really helpful on this forum, if I can return the favor to anyone about their computer probs let me know! :)

Turtle4288, how much do you want for the resisitors. Im no mechanic so hoping to give it a go and see if I can do this :)

#16 ·
Should be a phase2, silver instrument panels, small front grill with black mesh and chrome surround.

My sons 156 had exactly this problem and it was one of the resistors as mentioned above. 1/2 hour to change even if not a mechanic. To eliminate the thermostat, start the engine from cold and let it tick over. After a short while you will feel the water pipes suddenly start to heat up as the thermo opens. If this takes say, more than 15/20mins or the pipes heat up very slowly then the thermo is shot. I believe they are designed to fail in the open position for obvious reasons.

HTH,
PJ

#18 ·
My phase 2 spider TS also appears to run with low temperature all the time. The Heater works brilliantly but the gauge on normal running is just around the 70°C mark. It does creep up to 90°C in traffic but then settles down again to the 50°C - 70°C. Been like this since I got it. Fuel efficiency is around 31mpg which most have said is about right. I have just put it down to poorly calibrated gauge.

#21 ·
PH2 should run at 86/88? degrees This is about 3/4 of the way between the mystery mark and the vertical 90 mark. It should be stable whilst moving, and then creep over 90 when stationary until the fans kick in.

If the gauge stays between the 50 and the mystery mark when moving then that generally indicates a stuck open stat.

#20 ·
thanks turtle4288, i got one from autolusso before seeing your message , im going to try to fit the resisitor myself...aarghh! Has anyone got a picture of where these resistors are and which one I have to change?
Sorry Im such a noob at cars, computers is my area but Im willing to have a go at fixing this.

Really appreciate all the help on here. Is it still okay to drive around with the fan kicking in at 100? I only travel short distance about 4-5 miles per day?

#22 ·
thanks turtle4288, i got one from autolusso before seeing your message , im going to try to fit the resisitor myself...aarghh! Has anyone got a picture of where these resistors are and which one I have to change?
Cant find a photo, but the resistor/s are mounted onto the metal shroud the fans are attached to. If you have 2 fans you have 2 resistors, they are between the two fans, top and bottom. With one fan its in one corner (not sure if top or bottom)

The resistors look like this http://www.omifacsimiles.com/alfa/Resistor-for-Kia-Peugeot-Radiator-Fan-71202955.jpg look for the 2 connectors, you cant see the green bit, its inside the shroud.

If you have 2 fans, chances are both resistors are shot (when one fails, the other takes the current for both fans and melts..) You may find one or more connectors have melted, you can replace with a 6.3mm spade connector.

#24 ·
Hi ian,

Yep that's what i thought also. Although the hot air seems to come through pretty quick, 2 to 3 miles and am warm. Plan on getting the garage to look at the thermostst next time its in for a service. Could be ... in which case I will hopefully see a fuel economy improvement also ...whey hey !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.