Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new temp sensor for the thermostat housing... but how is it sealed?, is it an O ring gasket or just some Yackum spread round the threads ?, am i likely to loose lots of coolent ?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That's the thing screwed into the top of the thermostat housing right ???? (on the TS's anyway). If it's the same as the TS engines, then you just screw it down. You won't loose coolant as it is on the top, just do it when cold though.
I replaced mine about a year ago, no leaks.
Hope this helps

Marlon

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Marlon, so its not part of the water circuit then, must be in a pocket in the water... that makes it simple then.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woops, took the enigine temp sender unit out last night to find hot coolaent flying everywhere... quick change over meant not to much lost... so for 16V owners you need to top up after changing this sender unit

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll fly out under pressure if the coolant is hot eek!

Marlon

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used an old credit card to block the hole until ready to do the quick change over :D :D :D

Read a warning recently that cats/dogs and other local wildlife are attracted to the sweet smeel of coolant and its highly toxic......please make sure its diluted/cleaned if spilt..........wish I'd know this a few months ago while spilling mine :rolleyes:

wrinx

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi creamy,
if it's the 16V you're talking about: the sender (with a blue bosch plug) has a solid copper washer to seal it. Use a new one, or if you don't have one and the shops are closed, heat the old one for a few moments until it glows red. This will resoften it sufficiently to seal when you put it back on.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Christ i seem to have a new car !!!, the engine temp sensor makes such a difference... this website is worth its weight in gold

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o sorry, the engine is much smoother, particulary when cold... it used to holdback till it got warm and even then it always felt like it wasnt fueling properly.

Anyway now it runs from cold like its already at 90 Deg , and is much smoother again..

Sorted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts