Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Today, when driving to visit my family, I got ESCF. While driving, it started to beep, and it said ESCF in the display. The yellow motor icon was also flashing. After about 5-10 sec, it vanished again. And after that every time I drive in around 120kmh it starts to flash. When I drive at slower speeds, this never happends.

The only thing I can think of is that it might have to do with it, is that I helped jumpstarting a Wv Caravel, for a friend the other day.

Anyoneone have any ideas on whats wrong, and why it only happends at higher speeds?

Cheers!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In tried to read up about that error message, but I cant find others that have the same error only when your "speeding".

How much does a cable that let me hok it up to a laptop cost, and where can I get one? :)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Rarebar or is it carebare has that covered on the site he might answer here , or search .

Crank sensor goes intermittent here and sometimes into limp mode , she is behaving at the moment .
It could be a faulty sensor , BOSCH almighty they are like spaceships .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did actually stop by a friends garage, to run a ACTIA Multi-Diag. That software had a hard time talking to the car, and only recogniced about half of the checks. On error we got before the program became unrespionsive, was that Cylinder 4 was dead.
I did drive the car home later that night, and as long as i stayed under 110kmh, the warning message didnt appear (Tough now the engine light is on all the time), and the was no strange noises from the engine.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Crap , will reply to bump for more help ...
Is number 4 next to oil filler cap = I read oil gets into the electronics , the coil pack .

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like you were getting somewhere before the software started playing up? Coil pack on cylinder 4 maybe? If it gave an error on 4 you can try and move the coil to see if the fault moves when you read the codes again, but I guess this depends on your friends computer being able to connect up again. Does the car feel any different to drive when the error flashes?

Search 'alfa fiat diagnostic cable' on ebay.co.uk and buy the ones from buy_me_from_dan - one blue cable with three adaptor leads. Once you hook up to a Windows laptop using the instructions provided you can get the fault codes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I went to a out of town Alfa Romeo garage, and they did a new diagnostic. It seems like the coil on cylinder 4 is acting up.
They told me that the error message only apeared once, and after they deleted it, it wouldnt come back. I insisted and told them that something had to be wrong sense the errormessage starts to flash every time I go into higher speeds.

And ofc, the error message got back when I went on the freeway on my way home: :/

Could I change the coil myself? Is it hard? Where can I get the right one?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Yes you can change it yourself , WayHey I was right:lol:
Not sure of the best place for you to source given you're location .
That garage might be a good place to start ;)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Ta haha . Jeez I am near ready to scrap my 147 , needs to be running tho . I think .
Flippen eck was offered 250/300 for scrap value .
Running on three cylinders lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hehe, :)

Got a Alfa Romeo 147, 2006, 1,6 TS 105hp. I found some coils on ebay, but Im not sure what to get :(

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
As Tom said, before you buy a new coil, try swapping them around to see if the fault moves. That way you can prove the coil is faulty. Easy DIY. But you do need diagnostics, which is also easy. Even your android phone with free app, plus ELM327 bluetooth dongle (10 euro?, ebay) will check and clear engine codes.

Number 4 is at the gearbox end of the engine BTW. The cylinder by the oil filler is number 1.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
As Tom said, before you buy a new coil, try swapping them around to see if the fault moves. That way you can prove the coil is faulty. Easy DIY. But you do need diagnostics, which is also easy. Even your android phone with free app, plus ELM327 bluetooth dongle (10 euro?, ebay) will check and clear engine codes.

Number 4 is at the gearbox end of the engine BTW. The cylinder by the oil filler is number 1.
Thank you , This is the coilpack Haltemien here .

Any requests or queries, please email [email protected] or call 01582 869 560. We can list any item on eBay that you may require and we can arrange worldwide delivery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks alot for the help everyone! You guys are the best! :)

Ive decided to put the 147 at a local garage next Thuesday. But I ve learned so much, and the next time I get a fault, ill be able to scan it myself :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts