Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 156 Selepeeds (March 2000 and October 2000). One has a misfunctioning gearbox but a very healthy engine, the other has a good gearbox and Selespeed gubbins but has a con-rod poking out of a hole in the block!
How feasable is a home engine swap? I have a reasonably equipped workshop and an engine crane, but no lift or work pit. I have done many swaps on Suds and Minaris but the level of electronics is rather different.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It is do-able.

You need to remember though that you have two slightly different specs of engine.
March 2000 Euro2 155bhp spec (32301)
October 2000 Euro3 150bhp spec (32310)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
the ECU on both (selespeed) engines is ME 3.1 so that will give no problems. But you need calibrating equipment such as Alfadiag , Examiner.. to get the car and gear selection computer working properly.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any external signs to indicate that the engines are from a different series? On initial inspection they appear to be identical.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Are there any external signs to indicate that the engines are from a different series? On initial inspection they appear to be identical.
The chassis plate will show which engines each car has (assuming they are original).

If they are different, they will still swap over. But make a note of it somewhere to make it easier for anyone that works on the engine later because there are internal differences.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Exhaust manifold ... pre-cats and additional lambdas in Euro3

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
if you keep the manifold of the old engine there will be no problem.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
If you get the cars up high enough then there is no dificulty in doing a home DIY swap, the easiest way would be to lower the complete engine and gearbox units out of both and then swap the gearbox over keeping the good one in the same car, the only hassle is droping the sub frame as the tunnel hangs off it at the front and this means you need to lower that too. Would be a good time to give the engine bay a good cleaning spray and polish too and while your at it clean and plasticote up under the arches, they do a RUST NOT formula now and it's (almost) bullet proof once it's dried, I always spry subframes with it whilat I have them on the ground.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
excellent tip Smaky !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts