Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone any ideas what should be done if you have swapped engines as far as the legal stuff is concerned. I know the insurance company need to know. I was thinking more of D.V.L.A and the log book. Engine has gone up to 1490cc so taxing band is still the same. How have you fellas done it? Not mentioned it or applied for a new log book or what?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Very clearly set out what to do on the V5.

Space for engine number and another space for cc.

you just fill it in and send it off.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Are engine numbers checked or recorded at MoT these days? If you tell anyone (insurance) you need to do the DVLA as well. Insurance, Police, MoT and DVLA all seem to use the same computer database these days

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had log books all these years, for all those cars and just had a good look at one! Part 7 highlighted in blue changes to current vehicle. Thanks. Like the man said any problems later on and the insurance company won't pay out. I know there are thousands of cars with an engine upgrade or swap that have never been mentioned to the D.V.L.A and even if you remain in the same vehicle tax group, the insurance people love nothing more than a little detail to pick you up on so as not to pay out. Not to mention the prosecution for being uninsured and so on. You might think I am being an old woman about all this but motoring offences are big business these days and don't go unpunished. The days of a warning are long gone unless of course they can't make anything stick then they will try and frighten you with one. Before mine goes back on the road in the spring I will let all the relevent bodies know. I will still keep the original engine in the garage in case one day I sell the car and then the new owner can not only put the original motor back in but also change the paperwork back if he wants.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very clearly set out what to do on the V5.

Space for engine number and another space for cc.

you just fill it in and send it off.
I tried that last year when I changed the engine on my Sud. Sent in the form with the revised CC and engine number. I have fitted a 1600 engine to Sud 1.5 SC which moves it up to the next tax-band. The DVLA V5 notes said that I only had to prove the engine details if I reduced the engine size so that it changed the taxation class.

Wrong! I got a letter back saying that the V5 notes were out-of-date, the rules had changed but they hadn't bothered to get the V5 notes re-printed to match the new rules.

I needed to prove that the engine was what I claimed, suggestions included a receipt from the seller, an AA/RAC inspection or a garage report.

The engine was out of an old Sud rally-car I had bought about 5 years previously off Ebay so no receipt. Somehow I couldn't see how an AA/RAC inspection would help and how would a garage prove the engine size without stripping the engine?

As an alternative I got some background info off the t'Inter-Web with the help of Google. I explained that the engine was a combo of a 1.7 block and 1.5 crank in order to meet rally engine class size of 1600cc, found a site which explained Boxer engine code lists and code-letter on the top of the block for a 1.7, photographed the engine number and block code on my engine. I also mentioned that the engine had been bought 5 years previously on Ebay and that I was actually volunteering to pay them more road tax, not less.

To my relief and some surprise this was accepted.

I do wonder though whether all DVLA employees would be so reasonable!

Tread carefully,

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I had to go through the same as Rob to register the engine change for the 6C, but I was able to get a letter from the garage (which had the 164, where I removed the engine) to confirm the engine details on their headed notepaper.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
car

matt my car is still the same at the moment in getting some superlite wheels next week and am going to get sud trofeo kit for the car also .
matt i met your friend peter a little while back and he has a lot of sud bits and a few suds also .

matt i will give you a call over the weekend :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Things must have changed, when I changed the details of the Sud to V8/RWD etc I just sent in the V5 and a couple of weeks later it came back updated. Although this was about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
They are clamping down now on unusual vehicles - especially since the introduction of the computerised MoT and the cross-referencing with the insurance database. Two Novas (usually, but not exclusively registered as VW Beetles and "rebodied") have been called in for retrospective DVLA inspection, in spite of all their paperwork being in order.

Whatever you drive, make the most of it while you can - we'll all have to drive hybrids soon :(

Lauren

1 - 16 of 16 Posts