Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.I have a problem startin my 1.8 8v when engine is warm. When its cold starts without a problem. But when i drive it and leave it for an hour or so it really gives me a problem. Any ideas?

Thanx

·
Banned
530 Posts
Check fuel pump,or the 8v's are bad for fuel leaks!,or change fuel filter,or maybe a service,hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the fuel filter recently and cleaned injectors...so no leaky injectors. Will check the fuel pump i read somewhere that it could be a fuel pressure leak-down problem. Dont know could it be the crank sensor coz after it starts it works ok?
When cold engine starts without the need to press the gas pedal but when i park it and leave it for an hour or two it cranks but refuses to start...it starts after i press gas pedal few times

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
could be one of your temperature sensors, reading hot, so it leans the mixture

next time you have problem, unplug one of the sensors - air or water - i would try water one first.

See if it starts any easier, if so, change the sensor.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If the car starts alright once it has cooled down, I'd go with crank sensor aswell, this happened to my 147 twinny, soon after wouldn't start at all hot :rolleyes:

·
Banned
530 Posts
The guy said it still starts tho,he just needs to use throttle,if it was a crank sensor it would probably not run at all or very horrible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll give it a try with temperature sensors...as for crank sensor, well it works well after its starts but anyway will check it too.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Point taken , but at the start of my problem with the crank sensor it was an intermittent bad starting problem. Do you have any warning lights flashing up, the crank sensor threw up a mcsf warning eventually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Point taken , but at the start of my problem with the crank sensor it was an intermittent bad starting problem. Do you have any warning lights flashing up, the crank sensor threw up a mcsf warning eventually.
No warning lights...yet. Tell me how was it starting when engine was cold.

·
Banned
530 Posts
I'm surprised because 8v's don't have warning lights as such,16v's do,,,,come on bud do you have an 8v or 16v!!!?,that's to alfarian.We are trying to sort this guys car but if you don't run an 8v,then your input from a 16v is no good bud sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm surprised because 8v's don't have warning lights as such,16v's do,,,,come on bud do you have an 8v or 16v!!!?,that's to alfarian.We are trying to sort this guys car but if you don't run an 8v,then your input from a 16v is no good bud sorry.
Sorry, 8v....my bad, you are right no such light.Anyway i get abit difrent sugestions as for knock sensor...so whats the verdict on it. Also i'll check what you said as for fuel pump and will check what celadon said about temperature sensors. On that note air temperature sensor, is it incorporated in air flow meter or....?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'll shut up then.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Sorry, 8v....my bad, you are right no such light.Anyway i get abit difrent sugestions as for knock sensor...so whats the verdict on it. Also i'll check what you said as for fuel pump and will check what celadon said about temperature sensors. On that note air temperature sensor, is it incorporated in air flow meter or....?

Not sure, have a 16v myself, is located in sleeve before air mass meter.

EDIT : I don't think the 8v has air temp sensor, can't find one in the manual.

the engine temperature sensor - water - is the one that could be the problem, as this sends a signal to ecu of the coolant temperature, if its reading cold, sending incorrect temp to ecu, then the mixture would be rich and causing slight flooding, hence hard to start.

Have a look HERE at the manual - page 04-31

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

the engine temperature sensor - water - is the one that could be the problem, as this sends a signal to ecu of the coolant temperature, if its reading cold, sending incorrect temp to ecu, then the mixture would be rich and causing slight flooding, hence hard to start.

Will change it for weekend if weather serves me....so we see how it goes. But tell me doesnt the temperature gauge get info from the same sensor,coz it works ok? Also will check the fuel system like f1lmm proposed and if nothing will try the knock sensor.
By the way the on the page 4-41 you can read the intake "air temperature sensor is located inside the air flow meeter" tho you probably right is not it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the delay guys.The temperature sensor solved the problem, now its starting just fine. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts

It does, but it's located inside the MAS

1 - 20 of 21 Posts