Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.

i recently switched to Giulietta, with a GT (JTD) waiting in front of the house for sale. since i don't want to put more kilometers on 179'000km, I am not using the GT at all. Once a week or so, i run it so that the battery won't die.

Anyways, it has been about one week since last time, and this saturday i tried to start it again. since one could expect difficulty to start from cold from a diesel, i turned the key 1-2 times to MAR and then back before cranking it up, hoping the glow plugs can ease the start-up. unfortunately, when i tried to start the engine, it didn't work. i mean, it tried to rev the crank but nothing happened a few seconds, so, i stopped. i tried a few times, and then realized that the dash lights are going on and off when the starter is trying to turn the crank. i didn't want to push further, but possibly it registered a few errors meanwhile :) so, i turned off the car, and then took off the (-)ve terminal of the battery, to have a look at it later. i thought, it would be nice to ask some advice before I approach the car again.

the car is in zurich, and although not the coldest of the conditions, it is parked outside with temperatures around 0-10 celcius. it is also parked on a tilt, with front side up, so the liquids will be gathered to the back side of the car.

somehow, i didn't check whether the battery light shows 'depleted' yet. but, before disconnection, the lights and car windows were working fine, so the battery is not totally dead. my first idea was to warm up the engine block (somehow) before trying it again. possibly a hair dryer to move the ambient temperature in the compartment a bit up. is this a problem? (other than possibly requiring a lot of time to do)

i was also thinking to move the car to a level surface, so that the liquids settle better. though, i am not sure about moving it without the brakes working ;-)

do you have any suggestions to make it start again, so that it can charge the battery, and i can keep it live for sale :)

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
Starting the engine puts a lot of strain on the battery and if you are not driving it afterwards you will just be running the battery down (the opposite of what you intended to do!!).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i read that, although not as much as when the revs are high, the battery will still be charged during idling. but my idea is mainly to run the engine for a while, so that it doesn't forget what it was supposed to do, when i turn on the key next time ;-)

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
The battery needs charging properly, so take it out of the car and charge it on a proper charger (not a tiny conditioner).
Then the best thing you can do is leave it out of the car and not run it at all until you actually want to drive it.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
You are doing it more harm than good by running it like that. Buy an Optimate and leave it connected to the battery all the time. My car sits for three months at a time while I'm away and always starts first turn of the key when I get home.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice, guys...

unfortunately, i don't have a closed park space; so, best option is to take out the battery and charge it at home (or get a new battery to install when needed).
is there anything else to do before leaving the car out for a prolonged time? or before starting it at cold (and after re-connecting battery)? waiting for some pump/air conditioning component boot-up before cranking it up? ...?

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
As long as your coolant is ok, then the engine will be fine.
If your Diesel is recent, it will be a winter mix, so that will also be fine.

When you reconnect wait for any noises to stop before turning the ignition on (there may be air flap movements). Then turn the ignition on and wait for the fuel pump to stop and the pre-heater light to go out, then start it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ok.. i am fairly certain that the GT is built so that no DIY job is easy on it!

I wanted to take out the battery (maintenance-free) for charging, so, i open the bonnet today... only to see it is not as easy as removing the (-)ve lead.

- first of all, next to (+)ve lead, there is a bunch of cables hidden under a plastic cover (i think it is a fuse-box).. i am guessing all of those need to come out as well?
- and the next thing is the bolted belt holding the battery on its stand. it doesn't look like it will be easy to fit a hand with a wrench between the engine and the battery to unbolt it! is there a simple clip or something that i am missing?

EDIT: OK, found this thread, will try that later.

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
... it doesn't look like it will be easy to fit a hand with a wrench between the engine and the battery to unbolt it! is there a simple clip or something that i am missing?
Deep 13mm socket
Long extension bar
Ratchet (or whatever)

As for the fuse box on the +ve terminal, that comes away with the battery connector (you can get to that nut from the side).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts