Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help??

My alfa has developed a squeak coming from the drivers side of the engine. the noise is there from first start and hangs around on tickover. if im driving and my revs go over 1500 the noise goes, but if my revs drop below 1500 ish the noise comes back. the squeak gets quicker if the engine is running quicker.

Any ideas fellas?

Cheers

·
Registered
822 Posts
There is a large spring loaded tensioner that is the usual cause of such noises. The pivot seizes so it can no longer do its job. Unfortunately, its an expensive part (>£100) and not the easiest job in the world to do. If your cam/water pump is coming up for a change then makes sense to get them done together.

Keith

·
Registered
149 Posts
Aux belt is the outermost part of the many very expensive belts and tensioners,have you had the aux belt off to be shure the parts driven from the aux belt are faulty.
If so start with the cheapest parts i think that there should be an originally aux fan belt tensioner part sold at ebay for 33 £ for the 2,4 jtdm engine :)
The waterpump should be a part of the cambelt drive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7XSO6dVsWw&feature=related nice video !!!!
William lütken

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.just out of interest. I got some spray yesterday from the local motorbitz. the spray goes directly on the belt to eliminate squeaking, and it worked. - does this mean its actually just the belt itself? or could it be squeaking in the first place due to a knackered tensioner?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Having the exact same problem at the moment, the colder the weather the worse the squealing and the higher the revs when it stops. Tensioner was seized but I've freed it up and it hasn't made any difference.
My wife's Audi A3 had a seized alternator freewheel pulley recently (among its many recent faults :rolleyes:) and looking in to that, I found this causes belt squeal on the VAG engines. Could the same thing afflict our JTDs?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I jusr spoke to the guys at Autolusso Bournemouth. very very helpful and it seems this is a known problem, Im told usually its the belt and the cheaper of the tensioners that need replacing. I was gonna do it myself but just cant hack the noise of it and want it done now!! hahaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts