Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Brera in for an annual service today. When the car was ready, the shop emailed an image of the error codes that showed: Bosch Motronic Injection MeD7 (errors detected by) then the image was cut off.

The codes were:
P1141 - Preheating resistance 1 below catal.
P0571 - Brake switch
P0564 - Cruise activat. controls
P0013 - Phase variator actuator on intake shaft
P1161 - Preheating resistance 2 below catal.
P0139 - Lambda 1 signal below catal. (slow)
P0014 - Positioning diagnosis of camshaft on intake
P0300 - Ignition failures (generic)
P0304 - Cyl. 4 ignition failures

Some of these codes, like the P0571, P0571, which have been fixed, seem like historical codes that have not been erased?

My cheap code reader picked up the P0013 code, which is why I asked the mechanic to remove, clean, replace the two camshaft position solenoids. He did, so I'm guessing the reading was taken before servicing.

The ones that worry me are the last two codes that suggest ignition failures. This motor runs beautifully!

He said the ignition failure could be a coil? injector? and a couple other things I can't remember. I bought a bottle of Redex Petrol Injector Cleaner as a first step.

My battery was DEAD for a large part of six weeks. I had to reset the radio code and the door mirrors had to be reset to fold automatically. Maybe that's a reason for all these codes?

I'd appreciate any advice on what I should be keeping a look out for.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Mine had P1161 the last time I had the codes read.
I seem to get a bit more smoke out of the exhaust than I consider normal, but it's been like that for years now, and has passed a number of MOTs. Oil and water levels always fine.
Haven't a clue whether it's related to this code or not.
There seems to be very little info on P1161, symptoms etc.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Nice bouquet btw.
More nicer one is motor runs beautifully with that nice bouquet.
Back to nature. 1139, 1141, 1161 are lyambas codes who never die all together.
To deal coil it is nice to exclude childish stuff.
What is total mileage of car and what is a mileage ( also time ) from last service ( air filter ) ???...
Next question is about sparkplugs ref. total mileage ???...

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
My battery was DEAD for a large part of six weeks.
I am also sorry for my Siberian English.
Is it mean that car stays non- run for this six weeks or not ???...
If to leave a car for long period it may proceed fuel ( petrol ) oxidation.
It is normally happens in combination of two things i.e. fuel tank is dry like MARTINI and high mileage car implies a lot of sludge at bottom of fuel tank.
Could be also a childish reason.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

The car has done 30,300 miles. It had an oil change, new spark plugs and major service @ 26,500 miles. The battery was new 33 months ago. It drained after the car sat idle for six weeks without being started. (I was banned from driving by my doctors after undergoing a quadruple coronary bypass operation. I have photos, if you need proof :biglaugh: )

P1161: I'm guessing the catal. stands for catalytic converter. Mine smokes a bit, too. I thought it was condensation. I haven't lost a drop of oil for 5K miles.

Cruise control and hill holder all work, though they don't from time to time. It's an Italian thing. After four or five restarts, things go back to normal.

As was suggested, I plan to erase all existing codes and see what pops up.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
P1161: I'm guessing the catal. stands for catalytic converter. Mine smokes a bit, too. I thought it was condensation. I haven't lost a drop of oil for 5K miles.
Mine looks like condensation too, just a lot of it though.
It 'smokes' when the engine's thoroughly warmed up - sometimes I can see it in my rear view mirror when stopped at traffic lights after a good run.
Like I say, no water (or oil) loss whatsoever, so guess it must be condensation, but why?
A knackered cat? But not so knackered because it still passes the MOT.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
P1161 is lyambda my view.
22JTS is equipped with 4 lyambdas i.e. 2 before cat and 2 behind cat.
The question is what is below cat, i.e. before or behing.
Have read new input hereinabove I would refill car first and make a good run.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Mine looks like condensation too, just a lot of it though.
It 'smokes' when the engine's thoroughly warmed up - sometimes I can see it in my rear view mirror when stopped at traffic lights after a good run.
Like I say, no water (or oil) loss whatsoever, so guess it must be condensation, but why?
A knackered cat? But not so knackered because it still passes the MOT.
cats convert excess fuel into co2 and water... If you get misfire codes, look into that as the fuel and oxygen from the mifires will get converted in the cat.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
cats convert excess fuel into co2 and water... If you get misfire codes, look into that as the fuel and oxygen from the mifires will get converted in the cat.
Thanks for the advice. No misfires, but what you say would explain it.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
don't forget it's very humid, at least here. I think we broke every single rainfall record since 1831 this year... this means the H2O vapor is more visible as it exits the tail pipe.

I'm sure the uk broke a few records aswell regarding water...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts