Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their engine keep running with the ignition switched off and the key removed?

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
In my Mk2 Cortina 1600E.... yes !! :D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Never had it in my alfa but my wife's ford mundano does it occassionally. Usually only for a second or two. No idea how to stop it happening, sorry. Sure someone will suggest something though.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Maybe the ignition block behind the barrel has come lose and came away from the barrel so when you turn the key the barrel isn’t engaging with the ignition block.

Just take off the plastic covers around the wheel ect. It will only be a few screws. Good luck.

Please excuse spelling ive been up all night. :rant:

Good luck

N

·
0 Posts
Isn't run-on due to fuel still entering a hot engine?

Doesn't that have something to do with carbon
deposit build-up? Or throttle stuck slightly open
when switching off.

Should be less likely with a modern injected engine.
Could be anything in a modern car.

I think it's more common with diesels .

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Up until recently, mine wouldn't start with the ignition key in and switched on!
Might be something to do with the engine timing - I know my Dad had a car that would carry on running for 30 seconds or so after the key was removed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Nev, carbon build up will do it but I`ve got an idea it might be the stop solenoid. just got to locate the thing.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Nev said:
Isn't run-on due to fuel still entering a hot engine?

Doesn't that have something to do with carbon
deposit build-up? Or throttle stuck slightly open
when switching off.

Should be less likely with a modern injected engine.
Could be anything in a modern car.

I think it's more common with diesels .

:confused: :confused: :confused:
On older carb engines, if there were hot spots due to carbon, these with the compression would ignite the fuel, and if the car had a mechanical fuel pump, the engine would carry on running because fuel is being supplied and there is no longer a need for a spark.

Shouldn't happen on an alfa because fuel and ignition are both controlled by the ecu - so I would guess the ignition switch is dodgy. causing power to remain to the ecu, so it carries on running the engine.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
glenda said:
This happened me years ago when I was driving my Dads Vauxhall Cavalier. The water pump was knackered and the engine was so hot that the only way to get it to stop was to take the leads off the spark plugs :eek:
I had an old corrolla that would carry on running. I would just put it in gear and let go of the clutch while holding down hard on the brake.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rob 156 said:
I had an old corrolla that would carry on running. I would just put it in gear and let go of the clutch while holding down hard on the brake.
yep thats what I`ve been doing, except the cooling fans keep running so have to disconnect the battery to stop them.

M

·
0 Posts
I think Gavin has the most likely explanation - the key is not turning the switch itself or there's an internal fault in the switch.

Be grateful it's not an automatic! (It isn't is it?):D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers mudhut, It`s a manual.
Tried to get to the stop solenoid but it requires removing the intercooler and associated hoses so looks like a mechanics job....:D

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Another thing. Will it the engine run for hours after you take the key out. Or a few mins. it could be a electrical fault stoping the CDI from turning off.

Not sure realy its one of them jobs that could be loads of things wrong.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just thought, is it a diesel? because these don't require sparks, so that would help in the elimination stage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gavin dack said:
Another thing. Will it the engine run for hours after you take the key out. Or a few mins. it could be a electrical fault stoping the CDI from turning off.

Not sure realy its one of them jobs that could be loads of things wrong.

Good luck
Left it running only for about 5 mins, seemed like it would have gone on to drain the tank,yep you`re right too, it could be a whole heap of things

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just had a look on eLearn, and these have an electrical and mechanical fuel pump, the electrical is called the auxillary.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts