Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

when you drop the engine and gearbox out, do the driveshaft outputs clear the subframe?
where is best to attach the lifting chains?

Cheers.
Malcolm,

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Cheers.
Malcolm,
same question from me too, im pulling the engine out of a 1.6 TS this weekend but cant see any really good clear points to lift from

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
No they don't, Remove the N/S D/S completely and drain the gearbox, remove the gearbox mount completely then sldie the engine/gearbox to the right, then whilst liftint the engine/gearbox out just roll it out the bay.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i've read the removing BOTH drive shafts can upset how the diff is located in its housing.... & makes it hard to re-fit the drive shafts again.... is that true or just a wives tale?

maybe its true for not TS gearboxes?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I have 6 engines & gearboxes to remove & fit in the next few weeks:

remove:
2L's x2 [ from '98 saloon & '00 petrol ]
2.5 V6 x 1 [ '98 saloon ]
2.4 jtd x 1 [ chassis damaged write off '02 ]

re-fit:
1.8TS x 1 into a '98 saloon
2.5 V6 x 1 into a '98 saloon
2.4 jtd x 1 into a '00 Sportwagon [ is now 2.0L petrol ]

so i'd like to know the easier way to remove & fit each type.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
There is no easier way I am afraid, its a case steady as you go and basically tip the unit down at the gearbox end, oh and the Alternator and the air con pump gets in the way, if you need to keep the charge in the aircon then its difficult but possible.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
good man Pat, i had meant to ask re:air-con pump.

how do you keep the charge? tie it back into the corner?

what about power steering pipes & fluids?

coolant is a PITA, can never catch it all despit eusing a decent size tray to collect.

C

·
0 Posts
Hi.

when you drop the engine and gearbox out, do the driveshaft outputs clear the subframe?

Cheers.
Malcolm,
It depends on how you do it. I've taken a v6 and a t-spark engine and gearbox out without removing the subframe or drive shafts, but I took the front bumper, radiators etc out to allow clearence. It wasn't particularly difficult either - Just pick the engine up a little with a hoist, swing it forward to clear the subframe and drop it down.

A t-spark will go back in with the subframe and drive shafts in situ but I can't comment on a V6 as everytime I've put one back in, the subframe has been off.

C

·
0 Posts
i've read the removing BOTH drive shafts can upset how the diff is located in its housing.... & makes it hard to re-fit the drive shafts again.... is that true or just a wives tale?

maybe its true for not TS gearboxes?
I've never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When I did my v6 we split the driveshafts and swung the engine out and lifted the car over the top of it. We refitted without removing the subframe and with all ancillaries bolted on.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
1 down, 5 to go....

took myself & Bannowhog 4 hours to remove.

learned alot, we opened/did a few things that were not required, eg: slap bar, removed rad

anyways here is the 2.oL engine & gear box out.

We used the 1 tonne hoist to lift the engine & g/box UP to remove all engine mounts & then, after trial & error we decied to LOWER the engine & G/box onto a sheet of timber on the ground

We used the hydraulic lift to raise the car above the engine & then dragged the sheet of timber out.

why car up & engie/g-box down? , coz i could not get the eng/g-box out with the drive shafts attached. I could remove the passengers side shaft from the gearbox but not the drivers side :eek: ... so i gave up on that idea & decied to 'head south' :cheese:

BTW I bet you've not seen too many of the hydraulic lifts that i have in these photos

Attachments

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
from a garage in Dublin, €500.

2 tonne lift capacity

I had that car up at full height, which means i could walk under it & i'm 6' 1" high

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
when at ful height the beige parts at pendicular to the ground & in closer to the handle area, so the weight is closer to the left side of the picture

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
this is approx 25 years old.

the gargae i bought it form had a new 2 poster fitted & this was in the corner gathering dust.

i guess it was the predecessor of a 2 post lift.

as it lift up hight it pulls the car in towards the handle area so the higher it goes the more stable it is.

its made by afas [ P70-ARM ]

would you like more picture of it later tomorrow?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
got a link to a website?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts