Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, time to pick some brains. Which is the best way to take out the engine from my 146ti bottom or top? and anybody got any tips on doing so? Crank has gone so im going to replace the whole engine as this is a cheaper option than rebuild (47000 miles and dead!):confused:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It is easier to remove from bottom i have found, provided you have a ramp.This way you dont have to mess around taking engine mount off the engine and gearbox once you have disconected them from the car aswell. Both engines i have taken out of the QV's and a GTV have been out within roughly 2 hours of a steady, however, they both had no cyclinder heads on, so the car didnt have to be as high off the ground to clear the block. The axle stands were still on maximum height however.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info,the car will be on a lift so can go as high as needed and i can stick a forklift under it as well to lower the engine on to. Do you know if i will need any special tools to remove?:thumbs:

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you've a crane then out the top is much easier imo.
Take out the radiator and slam panel and there's lots of room to tilt the engine, which helps with the lifting and also with reconnecting everything afterwards, especially at the back of the block.
engine and box comes out as a single unit no problem :)

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Do it Nigerian style - roll the car onto its side then you can work simultaneously from "top" and "bottom". :p

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If you are to remove from the bottom you dont need to remove the rad etc. But i do agree that it would make easier working.

No special tools are required.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its OUT! took a day and a half lots of hidden bits and bobs to disconnect. Next is strip all the parts off of it and get them ready for the replacement engine (Auto Lusso) and then build her back up again,going to strip all the suspension parts and re powder coat and fit new struts as the front end is dismantled.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
god, wish i had a 2 post ramp to work on, my engines have came out via axle stands!
Take your time with it and make sure its all pucka.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its only got 47k on the clock so i think its worth spending some dosh on her. Im going to do a full respray,suspension and a custom exhaust from the cat back,induction kit and of course my very contraversal 18" wheels:cheese: Im lucky with the lift as it wasnt being used over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
from convos on our 145 forum, looks like he it looking at Dells motor form his 145, fitted with C&B cams and a piggyback ecu running around 170bhp.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Langers,dell has not got back to me yet about his motor you couldnt pm him for me and give him a nudge;) now the motor is out of mine i want to get another one in quick, would there be issues with it being the alloy top as mine is the plastic. what would i need to change? Cheers.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
the ecu and the loom, but if the price is right dells will supply that as it has the piggyback ecu.

He will get back to you fella, he wud b on soin am sure, i'l giv him a buz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts