Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry for the long post guys but I am seriously at my wits end with this car. Has been a nightmare since the day I got it. The list is endless but the latest is VERY frustrating!!:mad:

Just had my engine rebuilt after bottom end failure. She is runnin really well and I am happy with that however..........all 3 garages the car has been in over the past year have failed to identify why she have front end nearside knocking.

I replaced the drop links first and susequently the wishbones and while the noise seemed to get better it came back pretty soon thereafter so I replaced ARB bushes. This did nothing!

Now the noise is worse than ever, a real hollow clunk, sounds like the wheel is gonna come off (though I have checked the nuts:) )

I was wondering if anyone could give thoughts on the possible cause? I am wondering if replacing the drop links on what turned out to be shot wishbones could have caused them to wear prematurely or if only replacing the bushes on the ARB is causing the problem.....

But knowing my luck it will be something more expensive :-(

Any suggestions appreciated guys. Thanks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This may sound stupid but check the bolts on the ARB one had worked loose on mine and it caused a clunk that could not be diagnosed as all the bushes looked fine obviously. only found out by pure accident when changing the droplinks to see if that cured the clunk.

If not engine mount maybe.?

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Which wishbones were changed? There are two per corner at the front, uppers and lowers.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
upper lower wishies, arb bushes and droplinks are all that would make front knocks.

you have the top engine mount and the lower which are the common noise makers, the side mounts are normally cool.

I would start with the top on the list here though

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
disconnect the 2 drop links, tie them up, go for a drive, CAREFULLY.

if the noise ceases then the arb is most likely hitting off something.

did you replace the collars too?

if so did oyu use 'split' collars?

if so did you aligne the split of the 2 halves to be parallel with the arm of the ARB, its possible that the hea dof th ebolt is hitting the rear lower wishbone if on the arb in-correctly

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies folks. All 4 wishbones were replaced so I am pretty much ruling them out at the moment.

I did not do the ARB bushes myself so I am not sure what exactly was replaced but I suspect only the actual bushes.

Will check the link bolts and if they are not loose then try removing and going for a slow drive to see if that is the proble.

Cheers

Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts