Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Engine Rattle, Dead battery..... dead Alfa

Tags
battery
2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Fogg5446 
#1 ·
Well i have had my 156 for a week and i think its already dead. Noticed the car was lacking in power after 4k revs, so i done some reading up on here and tried disconnecting the MAF. All seemed great after i did this and the car reved well and really flew! BUT...... After a quick thrash the car suddenly died and i couldn't restart it, the battery was pretty much dead. I managed to get a jump start but the car sounded awfull, really rattling.

My first thoughts are big end bearings which after searching on here seems like it may be that. The engine will run and the rattle isn't there all the time and sometimes disapears completely. I drove the car the small distance into the garage and the rattle disapeared under load, which made me think twice about it being the big end bearings?

Another thread i found on here mentioned it might be a dead alternator with a knackered bearing, which may make sense as the battery was tottaly dead?

Im just chucking this out out there to you guys to see if you have any idea what it could be? I'm thinking my first Alfa ownership may be coming to a quick end, real shame as the car just passed the MOT. :(

G
#2 ·
have you checked the engine for oil?

can you make a YooTube clip of the sound?

if the battery has discharged & is now 'flat' then i'd suspect the alternator may not be charging. Do you have a mulitmeter to read the voltage? should be approx 14 volts when charging at idle. Perhaps the sound is related to the alternator been fautly?

#7 ·
Orginal Engine just coming up to 120K, I think the original owner had not taken to much care of this engine. When i got the car it was very low on oil, i topped it up but after a spirited drive the bottom end gave up. Hopefully ill have the engine out tomorow and the crank out ready for a regrind. I wonder if i can get the car back up and running before xmas?!

#9 ·
Good progress. I'm sure you don't need to be told, but do replace the timing belt and tensioners during the rebuild, and use the correct camlocks to time it up. It's essential and will be well worth it!

#11 ·
Well i have had my 156 for a week and i think its already dead. . . . . . . . .
Is yours the red SW that was for sale in Ickburgh?

#13 ·
Ickburgh is on the Swaffham to Brandon road . . . . the car there had been on sale for about a year. Also looked at one at Stalham some time ago.

#16 ·
Well, quick update put the crank back in today, but one of the big ends went tight when put onto the shaft. Turns out that the connecting rod got so hot it has actually changed shape! So that rod is now getting sorted (hopefully) tomorow. Did mean the head had to come off though so new head gasket going on there aswell. But i must say that the bores of the engine looking in amazing condition, makes me think it may of had a rebore at some point in its life?

Anyway fingers crossed everything goes to plan after today. I don't think my wallet can handle any more problems especially at this time of year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.