Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 51 reg 147 has a rattle at about 2500 - 2600 rpm. The noise sounds very top end like it's comming from the variator. I've got the normal variator noise on start up and when idling when hot, but the car runs great and pulls well. There's no noise above or below the 2500 - 2600 rev range. I started the car and let it warm up yesterday without touching the throttle, when I whent for a drive the noise had gone? The noise was back today however?

Anyone out there go any ideas what it could be?

cheers, Art,

L

·
0 Posts
check the heat shield on the exhaust pipe, it could be cracked. Also check the front mounting bracket for the 2 pre-cats, they often break causing strange noises

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for that but I've checked both, noise is I'm sure from the top end of the engine, it's like the variator is slow to start doing it's thing? Could it be general wear and tear making it slow to start doing it's thing/or a sticking solenoid? Oil is fresh just changed last week but hasn't made any difference. I'm due a cambelt in about 4000 miles so i'm hoping doing that and replacing the variator will cure it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts