Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.

can anyone surgest anything to this,

it dont like to start first time you turn of the key if it does start it idles at like no revs at all for a few seconds but if it stops the second time you turn it other it starts perfectly fine. it will also rev itself up and down a few times from anythin from about 500 to 2000rpm occasionally when you stop

she's drinking alot more fuel, and she feels as tho she is lagging alot in acceleration to, she's a 1.8 16v.

any help would be great i cant work it out it doesn't seem to make much sense. cheers

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Sounds like the water temp sensor is fubar, its £10 to replace and very easy (sits on top of thermostat, right side of engine head)

Your starting prob, is it after being in direct sun light, if so, its the ait temp sensor on the air intake, see:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jacksalfas/Forums/155 2.0 TS Air Temp Sensor.JPG

It is telling the ECU the air is much warmer than it relly is and getting the settings wrong causing it not to start, if it becomes a prob and wont start at all, pop the bonnet, disconect it, start engine, keep running, reconnect it and all should be ok :cool: :D

W

·
0 Posts
Also sounds like your idle actuator is nakkered causing the revving and idling problem. Maybe the lambda too but IA is favourite.

wrinx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive found the lambda seems to make alot of diff to the engine im thinking that maybe the prob not sure as i lloked in to things that happens when they go wrong and alot matchs tall the probs im getting,
does anyone know what one costs? and also what a dianostics check costs? that should tell alot about any probs .

W

·
0 Posts
Diagnostics at a dealer is about £40....you can clean the IA and the water temp sensor is about £15. Both owrth doing before you shel out for a diagnostics. Lambdas are about £80 for an OE part, about £50 aftermarket.

wrinx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok ill try that hopefully it will work
wheres the IA situated and anythin i shouldn't do to clean it?

W

·
0 Posts
Haven't got a piccy to hand but if you follow the air intake up to the throttle body you'll see a small multiplug about halfway up before the butterfly I think. Undo the two torx screws and squirt some wd40. Put back together, probably with a new gasket.

Basically it controls the idle but gets gunged up and sticks causing the erratic revs and stalling.

Sure someone posted a piccy of its exact whereabout if you try a search.

wrinx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found that it was a little gunked up, the water temp sensor is it located on top of the thermo, or on the block cos theres two

1 - 8 of 8 Posts