Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor poor Alfa.

Didnt spot the lightly flooded road and went through at 50mph at deepest part. Got through ok, but engine started to cough and then die. Would start but not idle properly and no response to throttle.

My mechanic mate came out. Disconnected air box in case water clogged filter up and disconnected air flow meter. Disconnected ECU connectors which were slightly wet, dried them and WD40ed them and reconnected them. Eventually this got it working and car drove fine for several miles.

Next morning, changed the air filter which was sodden. Reconnected the air flow meter. Idled ok, and up to 2000rpm ok.

Drove 20meters, blipped the throttle, noticed flat spot at 3000rpm, then engine stalled on the way down. Engine would then crank but not start again!!

Well strange, considering after the water incident, the engine started every time, just not hold idle speed well.

Any ideas....not key code thing.....will have to check injectors and ignition coils, but dont see how they would have changed and certainly no water on them.

On the verge of looking for a new car again....but want to keep Alfa and ensure it dies a natural death.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Strange as the engine has continued to run fine for a while after...

I would suggest looking at the relays around the battery.

Bit of a strange one this.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Have you checked the plugs? The recesses in the head are very prone to getting water in them.
Did water actually get INSIDE the car? Early cars have the ECU located under the passengers' carpet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, the problem happened just before I went to Italy for work. So after reading through my alfa workshop manual, I will check as much as I can when I get back this weekend.

Water didnt get in the car and there were certainly hardly any trace of water at the top of the engine bay. When I checked the injectors and ignition coils, they appeared ok just from looking at them.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
This is a similar situation, that I have been told about.

"Oh no I shouldn't have drowned my engine bay" thing that I went through a few weeks ago, hit a damn puddle with a little bit of speed and 2 minutes later the rev counter was doing its own thing and the engine would start and die for no reason. What happened was that the water splashed up over the ECU connectors on the throttle body and got into the terminals, being the usual Alfisti superhero I am I promptly got out kicked the wheel, lifted the bonnet and got a facefull of steam, A swift "******!" off with the plugs spray with the airduster in the ECU plugs and I was off again.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
A common problem of submerging your engine in water and it sucking up directly in is bent rods... i believe this is your issue as yesurtday i seen your thread on it with very...ermm...bendy rods...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
washed my engine once and blew bosch fuel pump relay, forget what one it is, it`s in the fuse box at front of the car

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Removed and inspected ignition coils. Found some spark plug wells full of oil and two others full of water. Cleaned them out but still no luck on starting the engine.

This weekend will remove the spark plugs and inspect them and borrowed a compression kit to test the cylinders.

Buying mates car also this weekend.

Bye bye Alfa which has served me well for 7-8 years and cost me £3000 when 3 years old.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If it is fooked, i assume you will be breaking it for spares?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Nothing buddy, just asking the question.

You could replace the engine. I know a couple that are kicking around on the 145 forum. Beats breaking it if the rest of the car is in good nick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts