Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Im desperate of my 147.
Since january im trying to find out what cause that engine is shaking when i start.It sounds that its running just on 3 cyllinders and its shaking until it gets to 90 degrees.It stops shaking when rpm are about 2000.
I ve already tried to replace spark plugs, airflow meter and today we tried to check coils.
According to diagnostic lambda sensor works properly.
And car has less power than i guess it should have, feels that theres only 100 ponies instead of 150 horses.
Do u have any idea what can be this trouble cause??
BTW sorry for my bad english...

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
A shaking 2.0 is normally the balance shafts out of alignment, but if it's dow on power too then I think it may have skipped a tooth on the cambelt too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think so that the engine got overheat, it still stops on 90, but sometimes it takes ages to get at least to 60, even 10kms.
I ve realized in the morning that it runs smoothly about 3-4 sec when i started.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im really confused of all this bloody issue.
What was weird that when we first tried to find out whats going on, we checked throttle body it was clean, spark plugs did look like dealership mentioned (20k km) so we just tried to clean them, then we disconected airflow meter, cleared the error and engine ran perfectly after that :) But only for 2 days :cry: so we tried airflow again but it didnt help so i ve ordered new spark plugs, replaced them, didnt help neither.
So im desperate and confused because i know that we did something what worked at least for 2 days...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Alfa was on examiner again but now in another service (which looked bit more solid)
They tried to check couple of things and found out that lambdas are not working properly till engine gets 87,5 °C .
So recommendation how to solve my problem is replace ECU, which should (regarding service) be wrong.
Is there any way how to fix this one (rewrite the maps) or i will need to get a new one with new keys etc???
And what kind of ECU i should look for (2.0 TS Selespeed 2002)..is it ME7.3.1???

Thx for answers :confused:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Replace the ECU ?
Why ?
The lambdas send the information to the ECU not the other way around
If they are not working properly why not replace the lambda(s) they are way cheaper than the ECU.
But I'm not an expert...
Ric

·
Registered
207 Posts
This may be dumb, but I assume that there are still HT leads to the plugs, this used to be a common cause for poor running/misfiring when they breakdown.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
My Alfa was on examiner again but now in another service (which looked bit more solid)
They tried to check couple of things and found out that lambdas are not working properly till engine gets 87,5 °C .
So recommendation how to solve my problem is replace ECU, which should (regarding service) be wrong.
Is there any way how to fix this one (rewrite the maps) or i will need to get a new one with new keys etc???
And what kind of ECU i should look for (2.0 TS Selespeed 2002)..is it ME7.3.1???

Thx for answers :confused:
Yes,it is ME7.3.1
if you want to send your ecu to us by registered post we can check it and let you know if it works ok,or has gone faulty.
it takes about 2 days and i,ll let you know as soon as it gets here:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, i've had the same problem just yesterday with my 2.0 147,
it started to shake because of low power, and u're right that as if it's running on 3 cylanders..you should go check it immediately, it's either from the carnk, or the valves, some might not be working properly.
i'm having a big problem, i need to change my engine, and it will cost me so much money!! it started with me yesterday (the shaking thing) then i turned it off, i tried to turn it on, but it didn't work, the garage said i need to replace the whole engine..
My advice is go and check it immediately..
btw, i'll sell my car when i'm done with it, and no more for ALFA...it's a nice car to drive, but it costs so much, in 4 months i had to pay 3000 $ only for engine maintenace (2 times) !!first time the Inlet manifold, and now this thing!!

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Running on 3 cylinders can also be caused by a failed head gasket....

Plus coolant in the exhaust will soon wreck the lambda sensors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ve been told that its runnig on all 4 cyllinders...
On Tuesday i have appoitment with another guy which should be really good with this ECU things and hes gonna check lambdas with oscilloscope as well, so ill know more then.

ALFA TUNER: Thx for offer but ill see on tuesday, if not ill bring ECU with me, ill be in UK for few months now(without car :cry: )

RS232: Im not mechanic so i can tell u just what i know but regarding stuff which i ve been told it looks that lambdas are OK, they just not work properly untill engine gets warm.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hmmm... Maybe an obvious question but.... Did you check to see if the spark plug tubes have any fluid like oil or even water down them... It can cause a judder yet still fire on all 4 cylinders! Then when warmed up, the condensation can evaporate from the top of the sparkplug/ HT lead clip .....Coil pack boots aren't waterproof and neither is the engine bay from spray from puddles... That's where I would personally start... Your choice though.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Also check the coils are plugged into the correct connector on the wiring loom.

They are set up so that it is difficult to mix them up, but if the binding has come undone it might be possible to get them on the wrong coil. That will certainly cause odd running.

Lambda sensors are supposed to be heated, so they should work within a few seconds of starting the engine by the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spark plugs are nice dry and clean and coils are OK too, we checked all this things..It looks like an electric issue, wrong wire or something like this...Cant way to get this fixed and beat some BMW *** :lol:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Disconnect, clean, electrolube all plugs under the bonnet, if the lambdas are not working till 87.5'c then there has to be a dodgy connection, possibly a dry joint in the ECU but I doubt it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts