Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi there ive just joined the names jay. can any one help just bought an alfa 156 2.0 drove fine for about 20 mile then i noticed a knocking noise on acceleration but when i stopped acelerating it went at first i thought it was the heat shield rattling as it sounded like that but i got about another 10 mile then started to hear the same noise continueously also affecting acceleration eventually i had to stop as was very loud sounding quite similar to a neumatic drill, it starts ok still makes noise and wont tick over if i drive it acceleration is vertually non existant will slowly climb in speed. Strange thing is i can just about hear the normal sound of the engine through the racket and its running pretty even. I checked the cam belt as i thought this might of stripped some teeth and slipped but its in good condition with no sign of damage so i am lost. hope that some one can help. and save me stripping the whole thing down.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hollow knocking noise from the top end cam drive area that suddenly came in when the oil warmed and thinned?

Acceleration all to pot?

Sounds like the camshaft phase variator. on the inlet cam. If chronic it has the same effect as a slipped belt. New variator and belts. The non idling could be related but check the maf sensor, it's a bosch part, same one as on most VW/Audi stuff (anything with bosch engine management) so is easy to get.

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi there & Welcome! :p

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
hello :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi i recently mentioned that my 2.0 156 sounds like a neumatic drill, i was advised that it may be the variator, but most of the threads ive read about this mention a clicking sound or sounding like a diesl or a tractor and this is definatly not a clicking sound possibly a tractor with no exhaust, so i dont think its the variator but how do i rule it out to make sure and any ideas what it might be cheers. acceleration is also effected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts