Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there , I'm the owner of a 155 Formula 1.8TS 8v and my car suddenly broke down this afternoon .
it stills starts but only runs on 2 cylinders 1 and 4 , exhaust outlet of 2 and 3 stays cold.
I hurried down to the local dealer to get some new spark plugs , but this wasn't the problem. I checked the wiring and the Ignition box ...nothing changed , it still runs on 2 cylinders.
Could it be the injection are there fuses for this unit?
Or is it something worse ??

Mery Xmas everybody from St Mariaburg Belgium

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would have swapped the plugs over to eliminate that as a potential problem before buying new ones, changing plugs is a costly business I no this info does'nt help you now, but any problem where you can substitute parts that you know are functioning is well worth trying, ie leads etc ?? anyway sounds electrical to me but I'm no expert, problem is all the alfa dealers are now on holiday.

Merry Xmas from Antwerp, Belgium

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had the same problem a year ago... after I put new sparks,engine still runs on 2 cyl. for about one min. (becouse of unburned fuel in cyl.) and then things start to get better

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the coils run on 1-4 and 2-3 so i could be a faulty pair of coils or the headgasket has blown out the centre between 2-3 cylinder.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx , I'm going to do a complete check up tomorow , with sparkplugs removed in order to check if the coils of 2 and 3 still works .
Spark plugs were rather old so (lifetime ?? , I bought my 155 second hand ) I thought it was wored the risk to change them.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer said ignition problems are normal?? with a milage of about 190000km/120000miles , the Bosh ignition box weares out and it needs replacement in some cars.
Anyone any experience with that kind of thing ?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's got to be the coil for that pair of cylinders.

Plugs and injectors etc. COULD fail but it'd be a fluke for both cylinders to go at precisely the same time.

Ralf S.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok , i'm going to check it out , tell you more when my baby is alive again.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there , I'm back the fault was one of the ignition modules that unhappily passed away a few days ago.
This mailfunction and a bad ODP sensor (one wire lose) caused the problems , thought Ii let you know in case one of yhe readers has the the same problem one day.
I didn't find it myself to say the truth .
My 155/1.8-8V has done a lot of milage already and now and then this happens according to the AR dealer.
Happy Newyear and a year of fun on the road to you all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts