Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 155 2.0 16v is now due for a serivce. I`ve used selenia oils in all my alfas for years, but does anyone here think that there are better oils for the same money, as selenia costs about £40 for enough to completely fill the engine.

And would it be best to stick to recomended grade, or a different one as the cars now on 120k miles

Lee

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would use a 10/40 or 15/40 semi synthetic oil. I am not choosey about the brand name as I think alot of the cost is purely marketing. I use comma oil costs about £15. You can do 3 changes for the price of 1

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, would agree with Jack, 10 or 15w...my local mechanic used Comma as do a lot of them I'm told...in fact didn't AutoItalia do a feature on them a few years back??? (Anyone remember that?)

wrinx

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just had my V6 serviced and asked them to put a 20/50 in the car, but they recommended a 15/40 semi synthetic due to it's mileage (113,000miles). They said that older cars need a thinner oil, otherwise it can cause head problems.
BTW it's Comma oil.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forty quid! Holy cow where are you getting that from?

My local Alfa dealer charges £23.50 for a 5 litre can which is enough to do an oil and filter change with some left over for later.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Older cars need thinner oil??? First time I've heard that, it's usually the other way around...but 20w does seem a bit thick. Was gonna put 15w in my V6 this time but halfrauds only had a semi 10w or mineral 15w :(

wrinx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once again for those that have not seen this:

Engine oil bible

Btw, I have no idea whether the contents of this page are true or not :rolleyes:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that £40 was my local alfa dealer. Sterlings or desira now i think in Ipswich. so what about castrol magnatech etc, waste of time? :confused:

Lee

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh and filter. I`ve always used an alfa oe filter due to the non return valve. (well for my 33s anyway) Is this the same for 155?

Lee

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've just done my oil & filters and I always use 10w/40 Castrol GTX Magnatec which seems to be a good quality oil and this time it cost me £20. :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Mine gets Comma 15/40 in it now................seen as we get it in 25 gallon drums :rolleyes: :D

Re the non return valve any oil filter from a factors that is made for the engine should have one fitted :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
leebex33 said:
that £40 was my local alfa dealer. Sterlings or desira now i think in Ipswich.

Lee

That's totally outrageous. Try AO shop for a price. BTW my car has done 149K miles on Alfa 20k Selenia and its still going strong. Mangalotsi are good too. If they won't send it too you send me a pm as I'm in Great Yarmouth & Norwich every 4 months.

Col.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've always used 10/40 Magnatec in my 155. Cost £30 for Halfords to do the oil and filter change. My mechanic bloke does it for £25. The last oil change I thought my engine had lost pressure (didn't think of changing the sensor) and got Kwik Fit to do the change with 10/50 semi. Cost £25 again.
The oil reccomended for the 155 is 10/40.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
BTW is there any difference between the Alfa Selenia 20K and the normal Selenia 20K without the Alfa logo?

I've bought the normal Selenia 20K...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Btw, I suspect that this oil is more important for the 16v TS engines. Why?, I'm not sure. Posibly to cope with the variator or the 180 deg spark timing. who knows? If you have a boxer 16v the non Alfa selinia 20k will likely be just as good.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Col you say the alfa logo selenia is more important than non logo for 16v, so surely wont this apply to oils like comma etc. I just want to be sure as I`ll prob pick up the oil and filter tom(sunday) and want to get it right.

Lee

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Tecnuical specs. for Selenica 20k
ACEA A3, API SL/CF, CCMC G5, FIAT 9.55535, SAE 10W-40, VW 500.00 - 505.00 for Alfa
ACEA A3, API SL/CF, FIAT 9.55535, MB 229.1, SAE 10W-40, VW 500.00 - 505.00 for others including FIAT and LANCIA

Really different or badge engineering -I wonder!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Leebex if you change the oil regularly then I dont think it really matters that much. I think it is better to use a non branded oil and change it twice as often as using a more expensive brand. Its a bit like levi jeans and tesco own brand jeans, one pair might look bette down the pub but go to work in them and they both perform adequately. If in doubt buy a middle of the road oil.
My attitude is this. Tesco, asda etc dont make beans do they but they sell em at 9p a tin. There are not loads of bake bean factories are there so there is probably a couple of factories making beans for everyone to stick there own lables on. I remember a top chef doing a blind test and aldi beans were his top brand. I think the same applies to oil. Choose one that meeets the spec for your engine and ignore the label. The only luxury I suggest is go for semi synthetic. At your local motor factors you should get 5 litres for less than £15

1 - 20 of 20 Posts