Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads,

My engine oil level light is always on even though there is plenty of oil
in the reservoir. A mechanic told me this is just a sensor that needs to be replaced and it can be accessed by removing the intake manifold.
Does anybody know what this sensor is, where and how much I can get one and is it easy to do, any instructions?????

·
Registered
398 Posts
Strange ... if its an 8v , the culprit is visible at the upper rear of the engine , shouldn't need to start removing stuff....:confused:

Ayways , in the words of Sir Stirling : "In my experience , that red light comes on about 400 yards after you've wrecked the engine ."

·
Registered
232 Posts
Which red oil light is it? the one on the main dash or the one in the centre console row of lights. If its the latter mine was on for a year and never had a problem once. It was caused when I caught the sump and I think it must have knocked the sensor down there. As long as you have oil and oil pressure then there isn't too much wrong :cool:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apologies, yes its on the centre console row of lights, just above the radio and its a 96' 16v engine. I'm sure its fine in fact I know its fine but over here our MOT equivalent is the dreaded NCT test. Basically a governmental money sponging exercise every two years and its due shortly. I think this red light might fail her:(

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Mine's been on for the past 2 years or so !!
As has been said above, its the dash one you need to worry about,
And if you check your oil regularly, there shouldn't be a problem.
If you want the light to stay off, there may be a way of doing it....

·
Registered
953 Posts
Apologies, yes its on the centre console row of lights, just above the radio and its a 96' 16v engine. I'm sure its fine in fact I know its fine but over here our MOT equivalent is the dreaded NCT test. Basically a governmental money sponging exercise every two years and its due shortly. I think this red light might fail her:(
If it's that strict, might it be worth removing or somehow breaking the little LED light? It's better than spending £X getting it repaired.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My understanding too!

btw NCT no problem with the warnign light, in fact you could rip out the whole check panel display and still pass.

Are you sure its a panel fault? If so how do I get to the back of it to disconnect the led? Also are you sure about the NCT? Did you run yours through?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just thought on my 2.0 16v when purchased,mine done the same and i had a heart attack as just purchased car!
The switch that need changing is bolted on top of the base of your sump if same setup?
Jack car up and look through where steering arm comes through,and with a torch you can see it at the back of engine on Sump with a wire going into switch.
Alfa wanted around £45 plus vat,so now i just put up with it as oil pressure good.:)

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Aye! With any luck it's just a wire fallen off or loose. The crimping isn't brilliant and the beast gets attacked with oil, dirt and vibrations down there.. and also the odd bit of mecahnic knocking it when fiddling.

Ralf S.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts