Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi need some advice please........just bought a 147 2.0 Selespeed and need some advice on what engine oil I should be using. Have read various comments re Selenia oil - do I need to get this and if so where from? Or can I use any good quality oil that I can easily buy in somewhere like Halfords?

The car is a 52 plate and has done 50k miles, I don't know what oil it has it in now as I bought it from a local dealer who did an oil & filter change etc before we picked up the car. They are only a little garage and sell all makes so I assume they will have used whatever oil they keep in stock, nothing special. The car does have a full Alfa service history though so it may have had Selenia in it previous to the oil change before we bought it....if so will it be bad news that the oil brand may now have been changed?

Also how often do you normally need to top up the Selespeed oil - and I assume this is something else that I need to get on special order from somewhere?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Miles and miles, of backposted advice on Sele' lubs if you do a search:): For mesel' it was, 10/40 summer, 5/40 winter, in the motor. Dexron Standard III in the Sele' reservoir, with I think it was 75/90 fully synthetic in the transmission. When to check the Sele' level? The more often the better, depends on the amount of miles you trek?:):pS Premium engine oils, with the required spec as stated in the handbook?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think Alfa now recommend Selenia Racing 10W60 for 2.0 Twin Spark engines. If you can't get that, I think Castrol has a good 10W60. I've never tried a 10W40 or 5W50 on my twinnie although I do suppose it would mean more frequent topping up because of the lighter oil.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes that's right..used to be Selenia 20k and now the 10w60 Racing for the 2.0. I've recently changed from using any 10w40 to 10w60 in an attempt to cut oil consumption and it seems to be working but still monitoring it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hi quicky question how much milage would it take to use up your selespeed transmission oil cause i just bought my first alfa romeo and its a 2003 147 2.0L V16 selespeed and after the second week i had a selespeed system failure popped up and slowly but surly it wouldn't even move off the drive stuck in Neutral so noticed the selespeed oil reservoir was bone dry iv filled it up with castrol oil DexIII multivehicle oil and it seems to be running again no problem just wondering how long dose it take to run out of transmission oil cause the service history says it was last got a selespeed refill in the 18/1/2011 so that well over a year ago would that be right?
thread below showing all the crap i went through to get it going

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/326970-alfa-romeo-147-selespeed-failure.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts