Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 156 1.9JTD 156 16v and noticed a rushing air sound over the last couple of days. It specifially happens under accelaration (even ot low speeds) and is louder the more agressive I accelerate.

Any ideas what the problem is

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
sounds like the turbo noise and could be pretty normal although possibly exagerated if and an intake pipe has become detached

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had the car for two years and only noticed the sound yesterday...Do you think it could need a new turbo

·
Registered
862 Posts
Smoke from the back end (white)would generally signify turbo probs. But it sounds turbo related, check for split hoses.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I saw the same sort of problem on a Skoda Octavia vRS. One of the hoses going into the plenum had come loose, so air was being forced out when the turbo spun up under acceleration and being sucked in when the pressure in the plenum was below atmospheric. You noticed any performance problems?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have noticed a small reduction of performance...would the smoke only appear all the time or just during acceleration

S

·
0 Posts
smoke would get thicker the harder you pressed the pedal. Diesels smoke a little anyway.

Sounds like a pipe is split or come undone

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure about the smoke, but first thing I'd do is check the hoses. Have a listen with the bonnet up, if there's a leak you will probably be able to track it down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Did you work out what was causing this? Just got the same sound this morning in mine (147 jtd) - too dark to check anything at the mo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, Had to get a new turbo hose fitted. The old one had split. Working fine now...back to full power

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
they have a problem and there was a recall refit to a bolt near the hose that was rubbing onto the hose and splitting it,

we have had a customer go through 3 hoses before they came here because of it.

it is solved by swapping the bolt round.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts