Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions for what are the best engine mods for the 2.0 TS?

I am considering camshaft upgrade from autodelta as well as lightweight flywheel from autodelta.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sports air filter is a good one.. ECU remap? :D

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
More efficient air flow = better combustion = a couple more horses under your bonnet.. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
the standard filter is 97% as big as the 3.0 V6's which needs 50% more air, so I don't know if there's a lot of gain to be got there

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It's not the size of the filter that differs with a sports filter just the materials used and design of the filter. You wouldn't expect a huge increase over the standard type but you will get one or two more hp at least, plus you have the added bonus that it's washable, you should never need to buy new ones at service intervals. I'm definately thinking of going for one..

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I wasn't saying a replacement would be any bigger, only that the TS standard one is more than big enough as it is.

but yeah, I'd probably get one too if I had a TS for those reasons of having a new filter and one that lasts (usually stick one in whatever car I have pretty quick),

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I don't quite understand. If the V6 needs a lot more air than the TS and they come with a filter only very slightly bigger than TS, doesn't this mean the filter for the V6 is vastly too small? Unless I get this wrong and a small % increase in filter size equals a lot larger amount of air flow. I guess the overall design will be down to constraints on room in the engine bay and costs though..

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
well I don't know for sure:
either the TS one is too big, or the V6 one is too small.

Probably somwhere in the middle i imagine. Judging by the size (surface area) of it, it looks big for a 2l engine

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
it does seem weird that they bothered to make 2 diff airboxes and filters that are almost the same. Things like that were probably why they had financial problems...!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
any suggestions for what are the best engine mods for the 2.0 TS?

I am considering camshaft upgrade from autodelta as well as lightweight flywheel from autodelta.

The first thing to do, is to make sure the car is running right, put it on the rolling road and get a print out, also u know what figures u are working with. Then u can make a change and rolling road test it again so u know what u have gained.

e.g My GTV 2.0 TS --- 157bhp standard without mods, timing belt done correctly none of this white tip-ex marks that some people do, Proper gauges and tools.

173.4 BHP - Mods done are replace intake pipe with 2.0 JTS one, element filter in standard housing, and a Custom REMAP by Reddot.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfas-4-sale/116419-for-sale-gtv-ts-v-reg.html

Another GTV running CDA, supersprint rear section, remap was running 165bhp.

Moral of the story sometimes simple mods done properly work really well.

Cams are good if u keep the engine at high revs, depends how u are going to drive the car, if ur going to use it as an everyday car like mine and ur not always going rev it high all the time then just improving the breathing and remap should give it more torque and bhp also less fuel consumption then having high lift cams.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes I will also add re: rolling roads that it's always good to get a couple of print outs (from different r/r's) if you have the budget and always go on the ATW figure (at wheels) rather than at fly. As the at fly figure can be calculated at the discretion of the operator.

I have seen many cars make about 10-15bhp more than they actually should have done, when the ATW figure has maybe only raised 3-4bhp.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yes I will also add re: rolling roads that it's always good to get a couple of print outs (from different r/r's) if you have the budget and always go on the ATW figure (at wheels) rather than at fly. As the at fly figure can be calculated at the discretion of the operator.

I have seen many cars make about 10-15bhp more than they actually should have done, when the ATW figure has maybe only raised 3-4bhp.

Agree, thats why I mentioned Reddot because we saw the figures on the alfaowner rolling road day OA organised and they were very realistic.

Only prob is JBA001 who started this thread is in Australia so hes gono have to find a good set of rollers down under!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts