Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help if you can: At the beginning of December my cam-belt slipped resulting in a repair needing done. I got auto-lusso to collect the striken car and £1200 later (new cam-belt, aux drive belt, other repair work, water pump etc), I got the car back just before Christmas.

Since then, I have only driven around 150 miles and guess what: MCSF warnings. Checked the codes today and they are as follows:
P0 300 Multiple cylinder misfire
PO 301 Cylinder 1 misfire
PO 303 Cylinder 3 misfire
PO 159 Lambda sensor bank 2 slow response (post cat).

The car started being a bit stuttery under power, when cold and at low revs; this is when the MCSF's started. I have stopped driving the car, as I am concerned about overheating the CAT.
The car is a 156 2.0 jts selespeed ti (54 plate; 60k miles).

My questions are as follows:

1. Could the cam-belt repair have contributed to the fault codes, as I surely have some come-back if they are linked.
2. If this is coincidental and I just have the worse luck; then what is causing the problem? Part of the cam-belt repair included 4 new NGK plugs.

I had a bit of a misfire earlier in 2011, and I replaced the coil pack on no.3, and changed the plugs (did not get the PO 159 on this occassion) - this appeared to have sorted the problem. Is it likley that less than 6 months old, this new coil on number 3 would fail again? I will swap the coils around tommorow and see if the codes change from cylider to cylinder.

I am trying hard not to get disheartened as I want to keep the car - but as things stand, I can't take much more hassle and expence. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

J

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Please help if you can: At the beginning of December my cam-belt slipped resulting in a repair needing done. I got auto-lusso to collect the striken car and £1200 later (new cam-belt, aux drive belt, other repair work, water pump etc), I got the car back just before Christmas.

Since then, I have only driven around 150 miles and guess what: MCSF warnings. Checked the codes today and they are as follows:
P0 300 Multiple cylinder misfire
PO 301 Cylinder 1 misfire
PO 303 Cylinder 3 misfire
PO 159 Lambda sensor bank 2 slow response (post cat).

The car started being a bit stuttery under power, when cold and at low revs; this is when the MCSF's started. I have stopped driving the car, as I am concerned about overheating the CAT.
The car is a 156 2.0 jts selespeed ti (54 plate; 60k miles).

My questions are as follows:

1. Could the cam-belt repair have contributed to the fault codes, as I surely have some come-back if they are linked.
2. If this is coincidental and I just have the worse luck; then what is causing the problem? Part of the cam-belt repair included 4 new NGK plugs.

I had a bit of a misfire earlier in 2011, and I replaced the coil pack on no.3, and changed the plugs (did not get the PO 159 on this occassion) - this appeared to have sorted the problem. Is it likley that less than 6 months old, this new coil on number 3 would fail again? I will swap the coils around tommorow and see if the codes change from cylider to cylinder.

I am trying hard not to get disheartened as I want to keep the car - but as things stand, I can't take much more hassle and expence. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

J
Sounds like fuel injector issue, it would have been easy to replace these while doing the repair but we would have no idea there was an issue with these before doing the repair as we never saw or heard the car running before doing the repair.

I have to say it was running really well after the repair and in fact I remember talking to my technician that did the job and he commented it was one of the nicest running JTS we had seen in a while

You are welcome to bring it back so we can have a look but in the short term my advise would be to put some Wurth fuel injector cleaner in the fuel and avoid supper market fuel and see if it improves. We can send you the injector cleaner

Ned

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ned;

Thanks for the reply; I will try the cleaner. If the injectors need replaced, what would the damage be?
JoAnne

L

·
0 Posts
check the 2 large multi pin connectors at the back of the engine near the bulk head.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ned,

Can you send me the injector cleaner. How much is it and I will get my husband to call and pay.
J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts