Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have a problem with my mito. Yesterday on the way back from work my mito started to run rough and it disconnected dynamic and start stop. it started to run on 3 cylinders i think. Read codes and I get P0302 and P0300 engine misfires on cylinder 2 and random misfire. Replaced all spark plugs with no change. Swapped coild packs to see if that one is broken and it still shows misfire on cyclinder 2 regardles of which coil pack is used. this morning I also noticed white smoke from exhaust that smells like fuel so I presume its fuel being partially burnt in exhaust that comes from cylinder 2 as there is no spark. when I was removing spark plugs 3 of them had oil in the well. The one that misfires whas the only dry one! dont know if this oil just got there now or it has been there for long time as I bought this car about 15k miles ago and never changed plugs. If i unplug coil no 2 when engine is running then there is no change but when i unplug any other one then engine runs even worse so there is definitely no spark on cylinder 2. Please dont say its MA unit. Would MA unit cause engine to loose spark on one cylinder? Any help with this would be appreciated:)

Oh and by the way its Mito 1.4tb 135 2011.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

Have a problem with my mito. Yesterday on the way back from work my mito started to run rough and it disconnected dynamic and start stop. it started to run on 3 cylinders i think. Read codes and I get P0302 and P0300 engine misfires on cylinder 2 and random misfire. Replaced all spark plugs with no change. Swapped coild packs to see if that one is broken and it still shows misfire on cyclinder 2 regardles of which coil pack is used. this morning I also noticed white smoke from exhaust that smells like fuel so I presume its fuel being partially burnt in exhaust that comes from cylinder 2 as there is no spark. when I was removing spark plugs 3 of them had oil in the well. The one that misfires whas the only dry one! dont know if this oil just got there now or it has been there for long time as I bought this car about 15k miles ago and never changed plugs. If i unplug coil no 2 when engine is running then there is no change but when i unplug any other one then engine runs even worse so there is definitely no spark on cylinder 2. Please dont say its MA unit. Would MA unit cause engine to loose spark on one cylinder? Any help with this would be appreciated:)

Oh and by the way its Mito 1.4tb 135 2011.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
This Guy might have an idea.................or Gazza will be along shortly! :)

Don't have an MA so wouldn't know how that would affect it. We only have the NA which keeps life so simple. (The MA is a reason we still have the MiTo as we were thinking of replacing it with a Giulietta but they are all MA engines ... heard too many horror stories to be comfortable).

If you swap the coilpacks and fault stays in same place then it could be the connection to the coil ..

What plugs have you got fitted and are they new? After 18k ours are badly burnt away .. no wonder Alfa replace them so often. I was used to 60k (and up!) on the NGK Platinums in my 156 (and Ihad 8 to swap out!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Gary, thanks for the reply. It's one of the early engines and not the multi air, thinks it called a multi jet. I've changed the plugs, ignitor coils, injectors, injector wiring harness, map sensor, thermostat, battery and its still the same. Tends to start fine the following day after ignitor and injector replacement but goes back to rough start and idle after 2 days. Ecu scan last night showed P0302 code. Cylinder 2 misfire. It will start fine once its been warmed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts