Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started my car this morning it was running really rough , after some looking about and a but of help I took the engine cover off and noticed some oil going in the direction of the spark plug.when I removed the coil the well was held full of oil so Ive syringed the oil out removed the plug and cleaned it with a wire brush wiped the excess oil from the coil and the rubber bit then put it back together but still the same . Could the oil have broken the coil or the plug or is there a way to clean the coil properly or something to put on it for a better connection ?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
It depends where the oil is from.
If it is in no1 cylinder, probably from the oil filler and would have no effect whatsoever. Are you sure it is the same cylinder that isn't running as where you found the oil? (check exhaust headers by tapping quickly with a wet finger)The two aren't necessarily connected.
What colour is the plug? check the other plugs for colouring and condition. Swap the coils, does the problem change cylinder? Any debris caught on the electrode? Have you changed the plug gap? Where in your opinion did the oil come from (if not from filler cap then we're looking at a more serious problem)

You may have solved the original problem but introduced a new one with the same symptoms. or be heading in the wrong direction. However, oil down your plug well wouldn't affect your spark plug or your running.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil had defiantly come from the filler cap as you could see the trail from cap to well . So the coil being soaked in oil wouldn't effect it ether ? What am I looking for on the exhaust headers heat ? How do I know when the cylinder fault changes if it does ? What is a plug gap ?

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Sorry but I beg to differ: Good God... I give up. I really do!
YES IT WILL AFFECT THE COIL PACK, THE RUBBER BOOT IN PARTICULAR :tut:

Thats exactly whay coil pack number 1 closest to the oil filler cap is always the first one to need replacing!
look at your other post for a full explanation;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok, yes heat where the exhaust joins the block.... if no heat from that particular exhaust header then that cylinder isn't running. Do it within 1 minute of engine starting or you'll burn fingers. (make sure you wet finger too)
When you swap plugs from different cylinders or the coils from different cylinders you're looking for the problem to jump cylinder.. this is helping to identify your problem... is it mechanical and fixed to cylinder no1 or electrical and plug/coil based, if so it will change cylinder when you swap the parts over... this is fault finding ;)

Plug gap is the space between the arm and electrode of the spark plug it is VERY important that this is correct.
check manual or phone a garage to get the correct gap for you car. You will also need some feeler guages.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll stand corrected but... a metal to metal contact isn't affected by being surrounded by oil. The rubber boot might degrade but since it is an insulator not a conductor still don't see what effect it will have.
I honestly can't say why coil pack no1 packs up first, I'm new to alfas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
cool.. look forward to it.
a clean car and engine is important but I wouldn't blame the oil if this problem only came about after you ran out of petrol. I doubt the oil arrived at the same time, it's been there since it was last topped up (or did you top up when you ran out ?)

Either way it ran fine before, fingers crossed it's a simple problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool.. look forward to it.
a clean car and engine is important but I wouldn't blame the oil if this problem only came about after you ran out of petrol. I doubt the oil arrived at the same time, it's been there since it was last topped up (or did you top up when you ran out ?)

Either way it ran fine before, fingers crossed it's a simple problem.
i checked all the connections today took all plugs out and coil packs gave them a clean too put it all back together and........... still the same ! so i called the AA so he could plug his computer in , the fault that came up was cylinder 3 so not even the one with oil in . he then started to do the same, take the plugs out of 3 he said they looked quite worn but his money was on the coil pack but also said it would be worth changing them . so now i have a coil pack on the way and ive been looking at spark plugs , i also looked at some posts and now i`m confused does my car have 4 of one and 4 of another spark plugs or all the same ? there all a 10mm sockets to remove them .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts