1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I also had the fault code P1238, I cleaned the EGR - not bad but not clean; I cleaned the MAP - totally blocked and the fault went away. Until Friday when it re-occurred. So I'm not the person to give advice :rolleyes:

I suspect the small tubes from the solenoid valve may be the problem, but I've yet to look. I also have noticed the engine shuts down with a shudder that I'm sure wasn't there before,

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I reverted to the orginal map yesterday and it fixed the problem so I'll do some digging to find out whats causing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

Off topic a little bit but does anybody know where I can acquire a coil pack for a 2.0 JTS?
mine died last night and I need one today. I love in Birmingham if that helps.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

Off topic a little bit but does anybody know where I can acquire a coil pack for a 2.0 JTS?
mine died last night and I need one today. I love in Birmingham if that helps.

Thanks
sounds like an egr fault.Cleaning the egr never really works as its more often than not the solenoid fails.Air quantity is linked to egr flow and maf can you read the air flow with the diagnostic program you have look at target air measured and current air flow should be the same or close.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to connect up FES tonight to test the solenoid in the EGR valve as I'm not convinced it's that.

Going to give a blast of carb cleaner into the inlet manifold aswell to clear the crud out.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed now, the EGR was stuck so lubed up with some WD :)

Emptied a near full can of carb cleaner into the intake so it's all nice and clean now.

Didn't realise how down on power it was. Got a clutch worrying amount of torque back now :)

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I've found one of the tubes from the solenoid valve had a small split, this has been cut back and will be replaced tomorrow. I bought some 5 mm ID silicone tubing only to find out it's 3mm, the outlet tube is 5mm, inlet 3mm!

But the fault code P1238 is still there although she revs much better and feels so much smoother. Tomorrow it's off with the EGR for a thorough clean.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Emptied a near full can of carb cleaner into the intake so it's all nice and clean now.
I sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake and got a flash back :wow: I'd be interested to know how you cleaned the intake without causing a disaster.

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
I sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake and got a flash back :wow: I'd be interested to know how you cleaned the intake without causing a disaster.
You did it with the engine on?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you mean flash back? The engine would probably stall.. I just sprayed it inside with it off left it a few minutes then fired her up

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I've just had an attempt to clean the intake, it was "full" of a black oily / carbon mess. I gave it a good spray and a wipe to clean it. It started with a stutter and blew out even more smoke that usual so she needs a good run I guess.

The fault (P1238) is still showing. I did notice the actual air quantity isn't even close to the required quantity, so is that the MAP sensor?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What readings are you getting? On mine it was expecting 300 odd but getting over 400.

Did you check the EGR solenoid?

If not what you want to do is take the EGR off, screw it appart (torx screws) then plug it back in and theres a test on FES to open the solenoid. This way you can see it actually working. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
At low revs it was fine (typically 300 vs 400), and as the revs rose the gap closed until at higher revs the gap was significant, (at 3000 it was expected 1200, actual 580).

The EGR is clicking, but the duty cycle sometimes remains at 1%, other times it varies according to revs upto 100%.

I cleaned the EGR first with carb cleaner, then finished off with Cillit Bang - it sparkles!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
error must be reset to clear the light

p.s. and use V-power (does not contain sulphur)

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
error must be reset to clear the light

p.s. and use V-power (does not contain sulphur)
I have cleared the error, but it keeps returning. The car runs the same regardless, I guess a new EGR may be required. p.s. all Shell diesel is ULS (Ultra Low Sulphur).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts