Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im a new Alfa owner and would like to know why my Engine Management Light is on/off on my 1.8 156.

For the first few days, the light remained on. If I were to rev the car above 4/5,000 rpm it would start flashing. This occured for around the first 200 miles. Now the light has gone off, and will stay off if i drive sensibly, but when I decide to let the engine loose a bit it comes back on.

Having no experience of Alfa's before, Im a little clueless as to what it is. Ive ensured all the fluids in the car are topped up. I have a lambda sensor on its way to see if its that.

Any other ideas and how concerned should I be?

Cheers
Arron

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If the car is running ok then nothing to really worry about. Possible issues which may cause this condition are, slow switching of the O2 sensor- always use a genuine Bosch as aftermarket, even supposed OE ones like NGK don't have the same cable shielding. MAF sensor, again a perennial favourite and again should be Bosch. This could likely cause poor running or performance as well though. Intermittent signals from coolant temperature sensor, cam sensor or even the knock sensor.

Best option is to spend your money on a diagnostic check rather than go part changing in the hope of getting to the root of it. Sometimes small issues with various sensors can all add up rather than simply one major failure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts