Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ooer, is that the right name for it?

Driving along to work this morning, with the engine pretty well warmed up, doing about 80 in 6th and gently accelerating. I get a beep beep and a little yellow light in the shape of an engine on the tacho - and a written warning in red on the central screen on top of the dashboard! The engine goes into what I guess is 'limp home' mode, no oomph at all. I drive gently for another mile or so, the pull over and stop the engine for about a minute. I start up again and all seems to be normal, full power resumed. But the yellow warning light is still there and I still have the little written warning on top of the dashboard too.

My car is booked in for some work anyway on Thurs week and I'm assuming the warnings will stay with me until then. How urgently do I need to get the car looked at if she continues driving 'normally'? Is it a real no-no?

Help!

(BTW, the engine wasn't overheated at all, it was on just a shade over 70C, which is as warm as she gets - see my thread on replacing the thermostat!)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shifty, I guess it could be one of a thousand things, but I'll hope it clears after several problem-free restarts.

It will get looked/analysed at in about 10 days anyway, when Jamie Porter does some other work for me.

Out of interest, she was remapped about 600 miles ago and has performed faultlessly since then - but I wonder if it's anything to do with that?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Latest: trod carefully at first on the drive home (30 miles). Gave her the full beans as I gained in confidence near the end and she's pulling like a train, as per usual :thumbs: .

I'll continue this until she goes in for her suspension mods/Q2 on Thurs week, then she'll get checked out on the diagnostic system to see what the issue is/was.

Still got the warning beep and light as I started her up but hopefully this will clear after a few drives. We'll see.

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Management light will go after 3 or 5 restarts I think - this is the fault code moving from short-term to long-term memory, provided the error doesn't re-occur in that time.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Error recurred this morning! :rolleyes:

Same deal as yesterday, I restarted the car down the road and limp mode went away.

Bizarrely, in exactly the same place on my journey to work, 4 miles in. But it was fine driving home last night. Maybe it's an ambient air temperature thing, it was warmer driving last night but another cold start this morning.

I'm hoping to keep driving her until she goes into Jamie Porter next Thursday for the other work I'm having done - she'll go on the diagnostic then to see what the problem is.

She always sticks on 70C, I wonder whether this has caused a problem? My new thermostat will be fitted by my local garage next Monday, hopefully she'll be hitting 90C after then. I wonder whether it's an EGR or turbo thing, caused by always being at the wrong temp? I've only had her for a few weeks, it seems that the previous owner was happy to let her be at 70C. The thermostat seems to work, it just works at the wrong temperature - typical Alfa, my Selespeed was the same! :rolleyes:

Interestingly, although my consumption is much better than the twinny, I'm still only getting around 40mpg - it should be a lot better than this, should it not?

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Depends how you are driving it, what sort of roads.. 40mpg is fine though, within tolerances I would say. My 2.4 10v got as low as 30.5mpg on one tank of fuel..

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
my old 156 sele (1999) sits around 70 + most of the time, in traffic jams it creeps up to 90 and then settles quickly back to 70+. Rad and thermostat are new, so I do not worry.. I get about 10km to the litre.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always drive 'lustily' of course! :D ;)

Latest: The warning light didn't even come on today, it has cleared completely! And the drive in was fine, completely normal - doh!

Fingers crossed then, she goes on the diagnostic next Thursday - hopefully something trivial!

Cheers all.

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Keep us posted mate. If it hasn't re-occured it can't be that serious.. Fingers cross for you :)

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
strange... my old 156 used to give me funny warnings on a cold start. normally went away after I pulled over and restarted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, also have the same problem sometimes...Turbo sensor has been replaced: two times with a used one and today a new has been installed. He thinks it's solved...I'llbe sure within the next week or two. Maybe it's the same. If it's not happening very often, I wouldn't worry too much...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts