Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 155 2.0 ts.

I start my alfa and all is good. :cool: i get down the road and at about the piont it get warm all becomes bad. :mad:

It first seems as though someone has pulled out a set of HT leads and goes down to 2 cylinders.then if you after you have pulled of the moterway and pop the bonnet it has a burning smell. :confused:

there is a little smoke that comes from between the inlet manifold and exhast where it come back under the car. it is warm in there making inspection a little dificult. :eek:

Does anyone have any ideas as the car didnt come with even the manual.???? :eek:

·
Registered
90 Posts
mattr said:
i have a 155 2.0 ts.

I start my alfa and all is good. :cool: i get down the road and at about the piont it get warm all becomes bad. :mad:

It first seems as though someone has pulled out a set of HT leads and goes down to 2 cylinders.then if you after you have pulled of the moterway and pop the bonnet it has a burning smell. :confused:

there is a little smoke that comes from between the inlet manifold and exhast where it come back under the car. it is warm in there making inspection a little dificult. :eek:

Does anyone have any ideas as the car didnt come with even the manual.???? :eek:
the smoke and the burning smell dont sound to clever.....how long have you had the car...if you dont mind me asking.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ALFAANDY said:
the smoke and the burning smell dont sound to clever.....how long have you had the car...if you dont mind me asking.....

Got it in january. runs ok till now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The fact that it only happens when hot would probably mean that the first place to check would be lamda sensor......try searching the forum for old threads theres been loads of stuff discussed on them.... I would also locate exactly where that smokes coming from...maybe a cracked manifold but you would probably hear it blowing a little if it was....

Mine started driving a little lumpy similar to what u described and that was down to a poor fuel delivery.....

Theres loads of guys on here who know tonnes more than i do so im sure you'll find ur answer...

hope this helps

andy

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. Any idea where i might find the lamda sensor? or even a manual on the engine. : :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the smoke perhaps a bit of burning oil??? As for the rough running, could be the water temp sensor has failed causing it to be overfuelled. It's screwed into the thermostat, right of the engine...has a blue plug. Other suggestion is the lambda but I would go with the sensor first.

Lambda is in the exhaust, just before the cat (first box).

wrinx

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
My guess is that the rocker cover gasket is failing(common) and oil is getting in the the spark plug wells, causing bad connection between the lead and plug, but im not sure this would cause oil to burn as such :confused:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
mattr said:
thanks. Any idea where i might find the lamda sensor? or even a manual on the engine. : :)
PM me about manuals :)

san

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
a good idea is to check the rocker cover gasket as stated , id try and check there is no oil hitting the alternator causing a slight short. check your oil level first though this might give you a clue . just remove the engine top cover to check gasket , the bolts should be splines but you can use an allen key on them , once this is off its 3 allen bolts to remove the plate that holds the coil packs and and spark plug leads. pull the 4 normal leads so far as to hear them release but dont try and remove them as plate has to come off first to fully remove look into the plug wells and if you see oil then gasket needs doing , you can just re seal it with a bit of silicon but the 156 rocker cover conversion is better option .

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd go with the rocker cover gasket too.
Although, in a previous life when I owned a Renault, it would lose power when warm. Turned out to be the head gasket :eek: . The gasket only leaked when the engine was warm. Hope it isn't that though :(.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts