Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Apologies for the noob question but I inserted a blanking plate tonight between the EGR and inlet manifold (car previously remapped with EGR delete). Stupidly I started the car with the EGR unplugged by mistake which has illuminated the check engine light.

Will this reset itself or will it need to be plugged to diagnostics?

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
332 Posts
probably need to clear it. pretty sure stuff like that throws a MIL regardless if its active or stored. is there anyone local with the kit to do it? maybe buy em a drink for the effort.

(just fitted my blanking kit today as coincidence would have it... i plugged it all back in before starting though and i have the kit to reset anyway ;) )

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
You can clear the fault light with the free version of multiscan, you will just need to buy a cable, a cheap kkl cable will be ok to just clear the engine light or for about £15 a Fiatecuscan compatible elm 327 cable will enable you to do more if in the future to pay for the full version.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi
Apologies for the noob question but I inserted a blanking plate tonight between the EGR and inlet manifold (car previously remapped with EGR delete). Stupidly I started the car with the EGR unplugged by mistake which has illuminated the check engine light.

Will this reset itself or will it need to be plugged to diagnostics?

Thanks in advance for your help
I do not know for sure, but give it a try for say 20 miles - a lot of errors if no longer present are only remembered but clear warning light and have no effect on car operation since then. However, if it won't self-clear, then wise is to buy ELM327 e.g. BT or USB, and Multiecuscan for PC or AlfaOBD for Android, and do maintenance yourself - cost of lifetime license and ELM would be probably (not sure what are prices in your country) of the order of single visit to service garage for DTC clearing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not know for sure, but give it a try for say 20 miles - a lot of errors if no longer present are only remembered but clear warning light and have no effect on car operation since then. However, if it won't self-clear, then wise is to buy ELM327 e.g. BT or USB, and Multiecuscan for PC or AlfaOBD for Android, and do maintenance yourself - cost of lifetime license and ELM would be probably (not sure what are prices in your country) of the order of single visit to service garage for DTC clearing.
I have the leads, they arrived today but I'm having a right faf downloading the drivers. Multiscan free has been downloaded successfully.

Should the lead auto install ELM drivers or will I need to do this, if someone could provide a link to the software or guidance I would be grateful.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If you have already plugged the lead in it (Windoooze) will have installed the wrong drivers and that can be a pain to correct as Windows will remember them for this lead so you may have to "restore" your PC to an earlier date.

Give me 30 mins or so and I will send you a link to the correct drivers. What version of Windows are you using.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
ref epsonix post. He may be right and after 3 or 4 successful restarts the light may reset.

Anyway drivers are here:-

Virtual COM Port Drivers

Be aware that you will also have to check which com port the PC has allocated. Also before connecting it to your car MES has a test function to check that the lead is working with the software. Make sure you use that before trying it with your car. You can't hurt anything but no point plugging into your car if lead and software aren't communicating.

I hope you have looked at this post in MES and have bought leads that will work with this software and your car. The fix for my lead was on about page 30 of 201! Though connecting to ECU isn't normally a problem but CANBUS with poorly designed leads can be a nightmare.

Multiecuscan - View topic - FAULTY ELM 327 INTERFACES DE-MYSTIFIED (READ HERE)

MES is really fantastic software when it works but you can loose days of your life that you will never get back learning how to set it up!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ref epsonix post. He may be right and after 3 or 4 successful restarts the light may reset.

Anyway drivers are here:-

Virtual COM Port Drivers

Be aware that you will also have to check which com port the PC has allocated. Also before connecting it to your car MES has a test function to check that the lead is working with the software. Make sure you use that before trying it with your car. You can't hurt anything but no point plugging into your car if lead and software aren't communicating.

I hope you have looked at this post in MES and have bought leads that will work with this software and your car. The fix for my lead was on about page 30 of 201! Though connecting to ECU isn't normally a problem but CANBUS with poorly designed leads can be a nightmare.

Multiecuscan - View topic - FAULTY ELM 327 INTERFACES DE-MYSTIFIED (READ HERE)

MES is really fantastic software when it works but you can loose days of your life that you will never get back learning how to set it up!
Perfect, thanks for all the help, it's sorted. :thumbup::thumbup: been out to the car and have reset the light successfully. I was careful to buy the right leads thanks to good advice on here.

Running Windows 10 and firewall settings were inhibiting the installation.
It never helps though when instructions provided by the manufacturer bear no resemblance to my operating system whatsoever lol.

Anyway, job, jobbed, thanks again.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You can clear the fault light with the free version of multiscan, you will just need to buy a cable, a cheap kkl cable will be ok to just clear the engine light or for about £15 a Fiatecuscan compatible elm 327 cable will enable you to do more if in the future to pay for the full version.
As far as I remember free FES/MES only support some of ECUs, e.g. 1.9JTDM, but not my TBI for sure. Not sure what engine we are talking about (except that Diesel).

Re KKL cable - as far as I read not much can be done with that one (maybe it depends on Software, at least with FES/MES).
My choice is ELM327 with removed redundant 100ohm termination resistor (easy 1 minute work) between pins 6 and 14 of OBD2 as far as I remember (termination on all these china made cables is wrong, they keep repeating incorrect schematics, and as result cables may not work at all or well with car)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Perfect, thanks for all the help, it's sorted. :thumbup::thumbup: been out to the car and have reset the light successfully. I was careful to buy the right leads thanks to good advice on here.

Running Windows 10 and firewall settings were inhibiting the installation.
It never helps though when instructions provided by the manufacturer bear no resemblance to my operating system whatsoever lol.

Anyway, job, jobbed, thanks again.
if you have multimeter, check resistance between pins 6&14 of OBD2 connector of your interface cable - should be high, if not (e.g.100R) then I would recommend opening the cable and removing the redundant resistor - just to have reliable cable peration in future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts