Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i Have a 156 2.4 JTD Y-Reg

I have a strange problem, when my foot is off the accerator the engine management light comes on? also the revs stay up when changing gear occasionally?

Any ideas ? i have tried unplugging the MAF, ECU reset, Throttle reset, already ? still same problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, would it be worth using a fuel additive to clean the injectors? and also where would i locate the Throttle postion sensor?

thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the injector cleaner fails, is it possible to take the TPS off and give it a clean? what would be the procedure for this ?

thanks.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Diesels dont have throttles for engine control, only for stopping.

I would get some Forte diesel treatment and run it through an almost empty tank first, to give the fuel system a chance. If this doesnt work, I suspect the EGR valve or the vanes on the turbo inlet sticking.

On the Jtd, the accelerator controls the duration of injection pulses from a potentiometer at the pedal into the EDC - Electronic diesel Controller

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for all the advice!

Yes i have since found out the throttle body on the Jtd is just about controlling airflow rather than in the throttling of a petrol engine. I put some injector cleaner in, no change. So i decided to look around the accelerator pedal, just in case, Found the Potentiometer, and the wire that goes from the pedal to the POT, throught i'd just push the connector blocks together although they did'nt feel loose.

To my amazement, started car, Engine Light OUT!!!!!

God i Love these Alfa Electrics!! should of guessed really!!! Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
OK mate, what you want to do in that case is cut the plug out and solder the wires through, adding some heatshrink for insulation, as when they start doing this, they keep doing this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts