Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya

Engine light came on yesterday, hooked up to diag and it gave P1238 - Air Quantity 2 error. Cleared error but came back after two runs.

Initial thought was EGR valve clogged, but this was removed and cleaned 4 months, 4000 miles, ago. Could this need doing again after such a short amount of time?

Do you guys have any other ideas of what it could be, or what I can check for? Is MAF a possibility? how can i check this without getting a new one? Or could it be something completely different? :confused:

Many thanks in advance

Dan

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
P1238 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Malfunction

check fuel pump relays and connections also check reset under passenger seat for poor wiring

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi dave

i have noticed poor wiring under the passenger seat. And i was cleaning the inside of the car before the error showed up. I know how to test the fuel pump relay but where can i find it in the car? What does the wiring do under the passenger seat? And why does the error code I got lead me in the direction of air flow and your one lead to fuel pump?

Many thanks for your advice

Dan

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
fuel pump relay in front of battery

but under passenger seat is your fuel pump cut off switch ,looks like a plunger type switch and if this wiring is not good can cause your problem

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cool, i will give this a try when it comes back from the body shop :)

I still dont understand why the error code P1238 can seem to mean two completely different things:
FiatECUScan = P1238 - Air Quantity 2
Generic code = P1238 - Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Which direction should i be going in?

I've read that common solutions to P1238 - Air Quantity 2 seem to be EGR, MAF or split turbo pipe to heat exchanger.

·
Registered
AR 156 1.9 JTD mjet 16v, 2004.
22 Posts
Hi,

on my AR 156 Mjet, 2 days ago, I have disabled EGR valve, purposely. After few runs, engine lamp shows, and with FiatECUscan, I detect this P1238 - Air Quantity 2 error.

It is obviously relating to EGR.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
It is the EGR code, and is related to a clogged up valve, when you clean it you also need to scrape out inside the manifold too otherwise you'll get this more frequently.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes mine was EGR.

Clean it and also drill down into the electronic half of the valve if the pin is stiff or stuck in or out.

There are plenty of good guides online which can give you step by step instructions on how to do this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got the 1238 error. First thing, check the hoses and especially the Pierburg-to-turboactuator small hose (spoiler - mine was split). EGR and MAF have little to to with this error. Do a test for Desired vs Intake Air Quantity and a test for Desired vs Boost Pressure. Do not buy expensive parts like MAF or EGR before checking.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Got the 1238 error. First thing, check the hoses and especially the Pierburg-to-turboactuator small hose (spoiler - mine was split). EGR and MAF have little to to with this error. Do a test for Desired vs Intake Air Quantity and a test for Desired vs Boost Pressure. Do not buy expensive parts like MAF or EGR before checking.
This is very good advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts