Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, afternoon.

The car has had an engine light for a while now, only thing that doesn't work is the DNA switch, also the start-stop, but the latter I never use anyway.

The dealer did a test p1850 and found the gear lever position sensor to be the problem, but they want to charge me £52 for the part and close to £150 for labour, all plus vat...

I was wondering if anyone here knows how to change this or has any schematics/guide to do it, I can buy the part on its own and change it myself if it's not overly complex, many thanks :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm sure it will be easier if the car is on a hoist. You could start at lifting the carpet around the gear lever to see if its situated there.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
It is accessed from underneath the car and from above for the wiring, you need to take exhaust heat shield off and a cover to access it underneath. Do a search it has been discussed before.

·
Registered
36,840 Posts
Same symptoms today. Plus I need the aircon radiator replaced..
Engine seems to be running ok , if only in Normal.
I never use N so this feels S L O W.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Cue2 is there an easy way to determine the engine check light is associated with the gear lever position sensor?

·
Registered
36,840 Posts
No. I have no idea I'm afraid. I took the cars advice to go to the dealers but as it was after 5pm they could only offer to look after the car overnight and plug it into the diagnostics tomorrow. They said it could be one of many things but probably not battery related. "If it's driving ok not to panic".

·
Registered
36,840 Posts
As I wrote, I got to the dealers too late. Can you get the codes read by I-phone app like my colleague with his BMW ?

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
You should be able to, I have a Bluetooth OBD reader that works with my Android phone.

Although I have not had to read any codes with it yet on the Alfa.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hmm, and bluetooth OBD reader sounds like a good addition for anyone with an older G. Would be interesting to know if the codes can be read on a smartphone.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have Alfaobd with the leads it does work with my tablet and smart phone (usb to micro usb), I also have Torque pro which works bluetooth with both too,probably no good to you as Im in Telford but the offers there
hope its something simple!

·
Registered
36,840 Posts
Thanks for your hopes that it'd be simple. It was. I started the car this morning and went into D straight away without any warning lights or anything!
I must have "stalled" or confused it as I made the split second decision to keep going through the lights onto the motorway slip road.
Phew.

·
Registered
224 Posts
So Cue2 the engine check light issue was resolved just by just powering off the car, and starting it the next day? Self healing car?

·
Registered
36,840 Posts
Self healing? Perhaps the sensors suggested something that no longer applied when restarted some days later? I had a similar situation some time ago when I switched the engine on in a traffic jam and it was going to come back with the start/stop anyway!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts