Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased my first Alfa 156 2.0 JTS year 05. The car is running perfectly but the engine light is on and I’ve been told it points to the cats. I live in NZ so I don’t need to worry about emissions. Should I get the cat removed and straight pipe (which probably won’t solve the engine light right? Or, Could I look at an aftermarket option? I would like to get a second hand cat but they are so hard to find so looking for alternatives.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The cat efficiency code on the JTS is normally poor fuel spray from the injectors.
Running without cats will keep the engine light on unless the ECU is remapped to switch off the post cat O2 errors. That said, why treat the symptoms when the same money will pay for an injector service? (I had my JTS injectors tested, cleaned and services for £100- which was an extremely good price). You will have to remove your own injectors though and that is not a nice job).
Refit injectors using silicone lubricant

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have you plugged in the error into Multiecuscan to check? I've had cat sensor issues in the past but they've not given an engine warning light...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you sure it’s the ‘cats’ And not an exhaust has regulator valve / a common problem with the156 and easy to clean and fix yourself for the price of some carburettor cleaner. I had the same engine light problem myself - dismantled and cleaned the EGR valve ( 1 hour) reset the engine light with significant performance improvement and fuel economy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you plugged in the error into Multiecuscan to check? I've had cat sensor issues in the past but they've not given an engine warning light...
Are you sure it’s the ‘cats’ And not an exhaust has regulator valve / a common problem with the156 and easy to clean and fix yourself for the price of some carburettor cleaner. I had the same engine light problem myself - dismantled and cleaned the EGR valve ( 1 hour) reset the engine light with significant performance improvement and fuel economy.
No I’m not sure, but the error codes do point to the Cat.. I will try your digestion on this over the next few days and get back to you, hopefully it’s a simple fix like you’ve said, thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So I checked things again with my Friend who’s a mechanic I have had two new codes show up;
1. P0110
2. P1141
3. P0430
4. P0420
(not looking too good).. I have added some European car, catalytic converter and exhaust cleaner too the fuel and will see how that goes fingers crossed. Any ideas as what I should do going forward?? I am still going to clean and replace my EGR aswell though, thanks Red Break.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cat efficiency code on the JTS is normally poor fuel spray from the injectors.
Running without cats will keep the engine light on unless the ECU is remapped to switch off the post cat O2 errors. That said, why treat the symptoms when the same money will pay for an injector service? (I had my JTS injectors tested, cleaned and services for £100- which was an extremely good price). You will have to remove your own injectors though and that is not a nice job).
Refit injectors using silicone lubricant
Thank you Fruity, I will look to have an injector service check/clean done hopefully that will fix it. As you will see below I have had 2 new error codes pop up any idea about them? Also how often have you heard about the injectors totally failing?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
2.0 JTS is direct injection petrol and has no EGR valve. Cylinder volumetric efficiency is varied by the variable inlet camshaft timing which works like an internal or virtual EGR valve.

The more exhaust gas recirculated, the more chance of affected injector spray and performance robbing inlet port carbon deposits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts