Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have diesel leaking from my engine (Brera 2.4 JTDM). I can see where the leak is coming from but I don't know what it is / how much it will cost to fix. Can anyone offer any wisdom?

When the engine is running I can see a small pool of diesel gather and it eventually bubbles.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Specifically, it's coming from the black circle (I don't know what it is!!!) In the centre of the image, you can see a small pool of fuel next to it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
SWIRL flaps...normal thing on our 1.9 JTDm & 2.4 . Get it done :) You´ve got ALU intake mainfold so it´s gonna be cheap.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
SWIRL flaps...normal thing on our 1.9 JTDm & 2.4 . Get it done :) You´ve got ALU intake mainfold so it´s gonna be cheap.
No, its not a cheap fix, its a 5 or 6 hour job to remove and refit the manifold, plus either the cost of a new manifold or cleaning and blanking the swirl flaps in the old one..

Yes your picture shows the top of the swirl valves in the inlet manifold but there shouldnt be any Diesel around them, if they are leaking it will just be oil vapour that is in the intake air, the actuator rod looks to be still on and you have the later design of manifold which is good news.
I would clean it all off and then see if its leaking a lot or just a build up over time. Be carefull not to use too much cleaning fluid as if you do have a badly leaking swirl valve it can run into the inlet and then the cylinder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely diesel pooling around the flaps, slightly blue in colour and has the distinct smell..

Could the diesel be leaking from somewhere above the flaps and just pooling by it? If so, would the air bubbles be expected if the flaps were working correctly?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If its diesel then it must be leaking from somewhere, both the pressure feed to the rail and the injector leak off return run over the top of that area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts