Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out in my phase 2, 3 litre GTV today. A couple of miles into the journey the engine cut out without any warning or spluttering, . I could coast it to a gateway, the power steering was not functioning. I tried to start it a couple of times. the code light went out as it should. It turned over but would not fire. I waited a couple of minutes, tried it again and it fired up and then behaved perfectly for the rest of the journey.
Any thoughts on what could have caused this?
Chris

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Maybe read the codes to start with?

Crank sensor seems a good call.

Reactions: Chris141058

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
328 Posts
I've seen similar symptoms with main relay being carboned up through years of arcing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe read the codes to start with?

Crank sensor seems a good call.
Ran MES - I think it was the first time I used it on my GTV in 16 years of ownership. I guess that indicates how reliable my GTV has been. Surprisingly the only fault was "P0100 - Air flow meter" and this was probably from years ago when I changed it. Anyway I cleared that fault so I will see if it comes back.
I assume if the problem was linked to the crank sensor there would have been a warning on MES?

I've seen similar symptoms with main relay being carboned up through years of arcing.
Yep, the loss of contact in the relays is a good suggestion. Is there another name for the Main Relay and where among the many locations would it be? I couldn't find this in my owners book. Should I be wary of re-setting anything if I remove any of the relays to clean them?

Thanks for all the suggestions

Chris

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
328 Posts
You'll want to get / use the Repair Manual (available online from links in this forum) which will show you the description and location of your main relay.

Do you have a stereo with a security code? You'll need the code if you disconnect the battery. I don't know how your alarm will like you poking around. Other than that there should be no issues removing components to clean them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've been doing a lot of work starting the rebuilt engine on my spider and one common problem I've found is that the error codes are often not recorded. Maybe they have to occur for a certain length of time before they get stored, but I've had all sorts of known faults not showing up in the diagnostics, for instance when sensors are disconnected yet don't show error codes.
I found the cam sensor was dead, but only once in perhaps twenty diagnostic readouts did the error code show up. Replacement cured the fault.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments.
I took it for a quick spin today without any problems - but I only went a few miles.
Hooked up MES and the MAF error was back so maybe something wrong there - although it appears to drive ok (when the MAF went on my 166 V6 it wouldn't rev and I'm not seeing this).
I will pull out the airbox and MAF and give it all a good clean and try it again.
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts