Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine fan on my 1989 spider Quadrifoglio recently disintegrated taking withit the radiator fan shroud. Have only but a fan blade hub mounted on the belt pulley. I managed to get most of the shroud pieces off, but how do you remove the fan without having to do much else?

Appreciate any pointers.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I believe you really need to remove the radiator to get decent access to the fan.........and to get the fan shroud back in (you need the shroud for proper cooling, so you will have to search around for one).......there is very little room to get a socket on the fan bolts and you end up wrecking your knuckles....I heard it can be done, but most just pull the radiator first.

But you also need to know why the fan blew up in the first place: number one suspect is sagging motor mounts!........replacing the fan/shroud etc w/o checking those will just mean you have to do it all again in a few weeks time!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise. I have both parts coming, fan and shroud, for replacement.
Looks like the radiator attaches to the chassis through two top bolts and the slides up and out.

Any tips or tricks in taking out the radiator?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hi,

Took mine off this weekend to fit an electic fan which you might want to consider instead of replacing new for old?

Radiator is only attached by the two top bolts, one on each side, plus the top and bottom hoses. There's a drain plug accessed from underneath (at least there is on my S2) or drain via removing the bottom hose. The bottom hose is the only snag as access to the clip is tight then as you say the raditator slides up and out. The fan, or whats left of it is attached to the pulley with 5x 10mm bolts.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I believe you really need to remove the radiator to get decent access to the fan.........and to get the fan shroud back in (you need the shroud for proper cooling, so you will have to search around for one).......there is very little room to get a socket on the fan bolts and you end up wrecking your knuckles....I heard it can be done, but most just pull the radiator first.

But you also need to know why the fan blew up in the first place: number one suspect is sagging motor mounts!........replacing the fan/shroud etc w/o checking those will just mean you have to do it all again in a few weeks time!
Exactly this, you can do it with the rad in place but it's less infuriating if you take it out. And treat the cause too, new engine mounts are a must!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the feedback. I will plan to remove and flush the radiator at the same time as parts replacements.

I suspect the problem occured due to the car bottoming out on a steep street to driveway transition at speed.

How would I go about a visual check and functional check of the motor mounts?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
first sign of worn motor mounts is the sump is not dead horizontal when viewed from the front under the car....as the engine naturally twists to the right when accelerating, the inlet mount compounds and the exhaust side mount stretches....any odd knocking noises can also be a sign, obviously, as can difficulty engaging gears, especially 5th and reverse (as the engine is unnaturally twisted to the right, the gearstick gets too close to the edge of the centre console, for instance)

edit: on my car (1990 S4 spider) I only noticed there was something amiss, when the front crank pulley was almost scraping on the front sway bar!...now, with new mounts, I can get my fingers between these.....a big difference.
Replacing mounts is like the alfa amateur mechanic's initiation course, but a great feeling if you manage to do it yourself!;)

or...when they look like mine did......that "was" my exhaust side after 100k miles, you can see it started to pull the metal apart:)!! New engine mounts give a whole new feel to the car (recommended to do the gearbox mount too....these 3 "points" are all the engine/gearbox is suspended on!)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well mates, happy to report all mounts are in good shape! The fan and shroud replacement went flawlessly. Replaced radiator mount rubber bushings while I was at it.
In all an afternoon of fun. Thanks for the help and support.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts