Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have just bought an Alfa GTV 2.0 lusso and need some advice from this forum of owners if that is ok?
I bought the car fully functioning with some spare parts included (rear and front pads and a radiator) and took the car to get a service including cam belt & variator and MOT at a local garage.
When the car was returned to me with the new radiator I supplied fitted, I noticed a leak. I told the garage and had my car booked in for further work on the Friday and they said they would look at the leak then. However the garage double booked my slot, so I rearranged to have the car looked at on the following Tuesday. In between that time, I drove the car as normal, the engine over heated and failed. I got the car RAC recovered to the same garage where they discovered the radiator had leaked and all the coolant had gone. It was suspected that the cylinder head gasket had failed! The garage took the head off to discover a melted piston. Since this time the garage has been searching for a replacement engine for the car.
I have not budgeted for the potentially huge costs of this engine failure.
I am not sure the best way to proceed, this is the way I see my options
• replacement engine (supplied by the garage) cost unknown as yet
• replacement engine (supplied by me) e.g seen on ebay for £500
• buy a donor car (for use of the engine) e.g seen on a website for around £400 (GTV 2.0)
Who is really liable for the damage of this vehicle - I think after noticing the leak I should have checked the coolant, however the garage did not give me any advice when I informed them.
I am really concerned about this and would really appreciate some advice on the matter.
Thanks in advance
Jack

· Registered
30,063 Posts
Hmm tough one, how many days did you drive it knowing it was leaking?

Because you drove it knowing the problem you might have to deal with the costs!

Did you check your fluid levels every time you drove it as it will leak badly when at running temperature as the system will be pressurised!

G

·
this is a tricky one.....

You knew that there was a leak, because of this i would say you have to carry some of the blame.....
One comment you made sticks out
I think after noticing the leak I should have checked the coolant, however the garage did not give me any advice
if you knew it was leaking then surely it would have been prudent to check on a regular basis, do you need the garage to advise you on this, i would have thought it was common sense.

Sorry if i seem a little harsh, i say it like it is, that said if the garage are willing to pay for an engine....snap their hand off

· Registered
4,100 Posts
sorry to say it mate, but i agree with Jay, you drove a car with a known coolant leak, didn't check the level before driving, and then cooked the engine. the only person at fault here is you, with a tiny bit of blame laying with the garage for ballsing up a rad change and leaving a leak.
if you are on a properly tight budget, and have absolutely no mechanical inclination at all (sounds that way), then i would get another car, and strip this one for all of the good parts to use on the new one. harsh, but might work out cheaper than fitting a decent engine. if you go for the ebay cheapy, you might find out it has issues, and then end up throwing more money at it.

· Registered
592 Posts
Unfortunately because you continued to drive the car knowing there was a fault with it you are responsible for the damage that resulted.

It will not be cheap to get an engine fitted, labour is going to be huge. You could give Autolusso a call, I recall that they fit reconditioned engines for a very good price.

· Registered
116 Posts
Hi
I have just bought an Alfa GTV 2.0 lusso and need some advice from this forum of owners if that is ok?
I bought the car fully functioning with some spare parts included (rear and front pads and a radiator) and took the car to get a service including cam belt & variator and MOT at a local garage.
When the car was returned to me with the new radiator I supplied fitted, I noticed a leak. I told the garage and had my car booked in for further work on the Friday and they said they would look at the leak then. However the garage double booked my slot, so I rearranged to have the car looked at on the following Tuesday. In between that time, I drove the car as normal, the engine over heated and failed. I got the car RAC recovered to the same garage where they discovered the radiator had leaked and all the coolant had gone. It was suspected that the cylinder head gasket had failed! The garage took the head off to discover a melted piston. Since this time the garage has been searching for a replacement engine for the car.
I have not budgeted for the potentially huge costs of this engine failure.
I am not sure the best way to proceed, this is the way I see my options
• replacement engine (supplied by the garage) cost unknown as yet
• replacement engine (supplied by me) e.g seen on ebay for £500
• buy a donor car (for use of the engine) e.g seen on a website for around £400 (GTV 2.0)
Who is really liable for the damage of this vehicle - I think after noticing the leak I should have checked the coolant, however the garage did not give me any advice when I informed them.
I am really concerned about this and would really appreciate some advice on the matter.
Thanks in advance
Jack
When making your decision on how to proceed I would advise you read this recent thread about the problems one chap on this forum had with getting an engine supplied and fitted by different parties.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...749-looks-like-i-can-kiss-my-gtv-goodbye.html

I'm sure this was just bad luck on this occasion but if I was ever in your situation I would think twice before getting more than one supplier involved.

· Premium Member
7,066 Posts
When making your decision on how to proceed I would advise you read this recent thread about the problems one chap on this forum had with getting an engine supplied and fitted by different parties.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...749-looks-like-i-can-kiss-my-gtv-goodbye.html

I'm sure this was just bad luck on this occasion but if I was ever in your situation I would think twice before getting more than one supplier involved.
I have to say I totally agree, it was us that supplied the engine, we are local to you and can help, my advice would be recon engine supplied and guaranteed by us for 3 years, £1,500 inc VAT

It does also sound like it is your responsibility as you drive it knowing there was a problem, you may be able to get the garage to contribute towards a recon engine

Ned

· Registered
4,100 Posts
just to add to the above. if you can stretch to it, i would go with what Ned has suggested, i can vouch for their work (albeit, not a whole engine) and i have had nothing but good service from them. :thumbs: in fact, ned and the team have got me out of trouble a few times, especially Dan :D

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for all the advice guys and with your helpful infomation I have come to an arangement with the garage at a price we are both happy with. It is still abit of a tough lesson I've learn't but likeI said thanks for your quick a useful replies :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.