Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I wonder if someone can help me please... My 156 seems to require a LOT of engine oil! Is this the norm with Alfa's? I don't seem to have a leak and last time it was at the garage for a service I advised of this but no leak was found... Any time i go around a corner it bleeps at me to tell me my engine oil pressure is low.
I would drive approx 600klms per week. Any advise/help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
SJB:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi There,
I wonder if someone can help me please... My 156 seems to require a LOT of engine oil! Is this the norm with Alfa's? I don't seem to have a leak and last time it was at the garage for a service I advised of this but no leak was found... Any time i go around a corner it bleeps at me to tell me my engine oil pressure is low.
I would drive approx 600klms per week. Any advise/help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
SJB:confused:
Oh god I am not sure to be honest! :confused:
Threw the last bottle in the bin!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Do Alfa's generally require a lot of engine oil?
mine is pretty good on oil to be honest but then i use a fully synthetic top grade oil in mine, maybe if your using a cheap alternative it could be burning through it faster?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Possibly!!! I hope I am not damaging the engine in any way, I haven't had any other problems so far anyway! What oil do you suggest?
Due my first NCT next week so fingers crossed everything is ok!

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Strangely it hasn't come up yet, but which engine have you got?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
my 1.8 twiny drinks like a fish.
Had no probs with it but icheck the oil every few weeks and keep it topped up.
Although i am thinking of moving to dubai to keep it topped up as the cost of keeping it topped up is quite frankly ridiculous.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might get you to post back some oil while you are out there so! :thumbs:

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
For a TS the oil spec is 10W40 or 10W60
Whichever you use, check it at least weekly and always keep it on the "Max" mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Make sure it is a good quality semi-synthetic 10W40 or fully synthetic 10W60. Some of the cheaper oils are still mineral based and this may be why some engines use more if this is the oil in them.

Alfa seem to think 1litre in 1000-1500 miles is acceptable ... so unless it is outside that, you should be OK.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine seems to be enjoying a nice drink of oil too!!

Just had engine rebuilt too and it drinks just as much now as it did before!!

My last Alfa (155 V6) used to drink it too!! Must just be a thing with Alfa's I guess.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
568 Posts
If its available in Ireland try using Valvoline Maxlife Semi-Synthetic. 10w40. It costs approx €32 (£24) for 5 liters. Its very popular with the Dutch 156 owners club for engines over 60.000 miles.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts