Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the difference in damage from an oil loss causing the engine to stop and oil over fill. initial inspection from taking the sump off is a bent con rod. The head has not been removed as yet.

Would their be obvious damage shown when the head is removed to the engine to show the car ran with very low oil until it cut out.???Due leaking oil from a pipe under pressure.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What would be the difference in damage from an oil loss causing the engine to stop and oil over fill. initial inspection from taking the sump off is a bent con rod. The head has not been removed as yet.

Would their be obvious damage shown when the head is removed to the engine to show the car ran with very low oil until it cut out.???Due leaking oil from a pipe under pressure.
if you suspect oil starvation, pull the crank journal opposite the oil pump... will be one of the first places you'll see signs of a warm bearing. id expect to see 'gold' in the sump too as the bearing got hot and started to break up. blueing of big end caps and possibly crank journals would also be a good indicator. it wont necessarily show in the top end as other crank journals may still be creating sufficient oil pressure to lubricate the cam gear.

oil overfill, id expect to see lots in the intake as it's ejected out of the breather. also possible to bend a rod but it'd happen on first start after overfill, not after running it.

bent rods are 'usually' caused by water getting into the cylinder (will stop INSTANTLY) or by bottom end failure (you get maybe a couple of really loud knocks but that would be obvious) sometimes if a valve drops but it usually just smushes the piston into oblivion.

any more info about what happened immediately before cutting out? did you go through a deep puddle(156s & 159s both have quite low intakes so takes less than you would think)? any oil pressure warnings? rattling? knocking?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine ticking over, oil warning message came on stating "insufficient oil to operate the engine". Engine then stopped.
Checked dipstick and totally dry. Bought oil and began topping up, obviously checking dipstick stick as I topped up. Concerned when I'd almost put 4 litres in.
Tryed to start but battery went flat. Got a neighbour to jump start me, the engine went bang. To quote him" the engine almost jumped out of the engine". Lots of black smoke from the rear.
Neighbour then pointed out that their was a oil leak nearside. On inspection lots of oil slowly flowing out to the front of the car. Not sure when it had come from but must have been from the initial loss as the dipstick still showed same amount of oil after my top up. Should have looked under the car after the warning message came on but I just thought it had run low and had a safety cut out to stop damage to the engine.

The induction system is clear and free from oil and still haven't identified where the oil loss came from.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is it a Diesel? Turbo failure or hoses to it? Also, pics of the engine bay and underneath would help with the undertray removed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Oil cooler is my first thought.

Thats some really bad luck though, bud!

Sorry i cant be more help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts