Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my car (1.9diesel Ti) is cranking for longer before it starts. Used to be one engine rotation but now it seems like about 5.
Any suggestions as to what might becausing this?
Dealer suggested battery but cranking doesnt seem slow just longer.

rsfruitbat

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Maybe glow plugs? Try inserting the key, waiting for five seconds, then pulling out and inserting again, waiting for five seconds again. This will cycle the glow plugs a couple of times rather than just once. See if that helps. If it still takes ages to fire, then it could be something else.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's cold. Even glow plugs can't completely overcome the fact that it's more difficult to start an engine when the outside temperature is so low.

If you take it on a run, stop it and then restart, is it quicker to start?

Ian A.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine being hot or cold alters cranking time. Once its warm then no problem.
However, longer cranking time seams to have occurred over a period of time not only on cold days but they dont help.
Thought it was taking longer back in Oct last year but seems to be deteriorating quicker now. Generally it seems erratic but average is definately a lot more than when I first had the car. Didnt have this problem in the really cold weather 2010/2011

By the way its an 09 with about 25k on the clock.

rsfruitbat

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Mine has always taken 5 or 6 turns to get going and ususally hesitates half way through too!

A colleague of mine who had a 147 with the same engine questioned it with the dealer and they told him to put the key in the ignition, then put your belt on etc to give it time to build pressure in the system, i have done this with mine and it is better the longer you leave it ignition on before you start....

·
Registered
238 Posts
A colleague of mine who had a 147 with the same engine questioned it with the dealer and they told him to put the key in the ignition, then put your belt on etc to give it time to build pressure in the system, i have done this with mine and it is better the longer you leave it ignition on before you start....
"build pressure in the system" - sounds like the usual crap that dealers spout when they don't have the right answer. What pressure in what system? The only thing requiring pressure is the fuel rail and that should come up in a couple of seconds or so. Not arguing with the workaround, but the cause sounds highly unlikely.

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
"build pressure in the system" - sounds like the usual crap that dealers spout when they don't have the right answer. What pressure in what system? The only thing requiring pressure is the fuel rail and that should come up in a couple of seconds or so.
I always wait for the fuel pump to stop before starting the engine in any car I'm driving.

With Diesels you also have the heating time of the glowplugs to consider.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Agree with the previous posts. Also get your battery checked, poor condition will contribute to the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your advice guys.

If the glow plugs are on the way out will this be covered under warranty? still got 6 weeks left.
I'll check the voltage on the battery. Cranking speed doesnt seem to have changed only length of time before engine fires.

Ta rsfruitbat

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I had new plugs and battery, made little or no difference but worth getting it cheked, mine is the same speed as always its just number of turns it takes that seems to get longer plus a little splutter half way through...

Took ages this morning so i got engulfed in mist and smoke when it finally jumped into life...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just changed my battery because of poor starting it was still on original alfa(exide) battery which was a 90A 440CCA now got a 85A with 680CCA and what a difference in this cold weather dont even bother with glow plug wait at all.

The cold really effects battery dynamics in all areas and I would recommend getting rid of the relatively poor (to modern standards now) 440 cold crank original battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts