Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine cover on my 1.4 Multiair appears to have worked loose and not being that practical mechanically I cannot work out how it should be fixed or, for that matter, removed. The obvious is a non starter since the six screw heads with Allen Key sockets on the top are clearly dummies being moulded into the plastic (or are they??:ermm::thinking::scratchchin:).

Beyond this I am stuck, there seems nothing obvious and I have no wish to apply brute strength, what little I have, and break something, possibly expensive.

I am sure I am missing something that is as clear as day if only I could see it :embarrassed::depressed: so please could someone tell me what it is?:teacher:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It seems obvious but the "bit of force" always worries me unless I've been told t is the right way to do it.

Again Thanks. I will try it in the morning and see why it seems loose.

·
Registered
231 Posts
if you feel around the edges you'll notice there are big rubber grommets, could be one of these got abit soft come loose with all the recent heat.

But as JNL said a bit of a yank around the edges and it will just pop straight off.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a matter of having the confidence to yank and yes it came away one fixing at a time. Yes Badger, I think one was loose, at least as I got that side up it dropped into the engine bay and lodged on the undertray. I couldn't see it anywhere, it certainly hadn't dropped right through. Luckily a bit a scrabbling blind and my fingertips found it under the radiator. Having put it back in place, pushed the clips holding the heatshield up tight and replaced the cover everything seems a bit firmer again. So a good job done.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
3 plastic ball joints on the engine/inlet go into rubber sockets that are slid into brackets on the plastic cover. One sharp pull straight up is all it should take however you are right to worry. the plastic is very brittle so it is very easy to break one of the brackets. Also the turbo heat sheild will drop off at some point.

·
Registered
36,847 Posts
3 plastic ball joints on the engine/inlet go into rubber sockets that are slid into brackets on the plastic cover. One sharp pull straight up is all it should take however you are right to worry. the plastic is very brittle so it is very easy to break one of the brackets. Also the turbo heat sheild will drop off at some point.
*With disclaimer that it appeared your experience was with an early/preproduction Giulietta which you took apart then reassembled more than most people do ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts