Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to change my coolant and wondering how much goes in there, is 5L or more?

G

·
I believe you need 9l to completly fill the coolant system. Be careful not to get air trapped in the system, I think there is a bleed valve on the thermostat housing (the longest bolt that is on the housing.
I have never changed it myself but have had to top it up after the engine has been run for a while.
Have fun
Ian.

G

·
Make sure NOT to dilute the coolant with tap-water since this contains lime-scale which tends to clog up the radiator. Only used distilled water you can find in any motorfactors.

T.

G

·
Sorry,
I forgot to advise you that.. when you drain the system you should do so by relying on gravity hence disconnect the lowest pipe on the radiator then undo the cap on the top of the reservoir and once the liquid has stopped draining out you should start pumping it out manually by repeatedly squashing the main radiator hose (this is the large diameter top hose connecting the rad to the thermostat or the horizontal manifold I think).
You don't need to look for the bleed screw. The system is self-compensating i.e. the thermostat will open at a certain temp to release excess air. What you should do is fill up the system to the Max level indicated on the reservoir and then turn the engine on and leave it cycling until it reaches working temp (70 to 74deg C on the dash) without the cap on so that excess air can escape. Let the engine cool off and then check the level once more and top up as necessary.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tnx, I've allready bought engine coolant some weeks ago which holds up to -35°C I think it will be okay, tnx for your advice.

G

·
TAZ

Re. using distilled water, just bought some antifreeze to top up after messing with the temperature sensors and it doesnt say anything about distilled water. Just sez to mix with water.

Is it still necessary to use this? Can understand it in "hard" water areas but possibly not if the water is ok..........???

wrinx

G

·
Hola guys,

see that its time for the coolant in your part of the world. My question is..why is it called coolant if you use it to avoid freezing the radiator?

also.. since i live ina country where its 30 degress celcius 365 days a year.. the word COOLANT sounds great.. do you think it will help keep the engine more cool?

G

·
Wrinx,
You're right, it isn't necessary but it sure is worth considering since distileld water isn't that expensive. For a couple of quid every two years you should extend the life of your radiator (and run your engine cooler) considerably. In truth, I do not drink tap water because of the amount of crap I usually find in it. Studies show that water in my are is so bad that it has benn known to trigger allergies and even loss of hair in men!!! I think I won't subject my car to that!!!

Nicholas,
In hot countries you don't really need antifreeze since obviously you do not drive in freezing conditions. Antifreeze though usually contains detergents which ensure that the cooling system will run at its best. Antifreeze contains a chemical formulation which - when mixed with water - it allows this to remain in liquid form even under -50deg C. The higher the concentration of antifreeze, the colder it will need to be for the liquid to freeze. In your case I would still recommend using antifreeze but dilute it with more water e.g. 30parts of antifreeze to 70parts of water.

T.

G

·
TAZ:
Make sure NOT to dilute the coolant with tap-water since this contains lime-scale which tends to clog up the radiator. Only used distilled water you can find in any motorfactors.

T.
Unless you live in Scotland where the water is soft and lovely, tastes err...........nice, and doesn't cover your kettle in gubbins wink

Marlon

G

·
Even if it never freezes in your countries you still need a coolant for the corrosion inhibitors. Without this the alloy heads start to corrode and can become porous. It's the fact that these inhibitors break down over time that necessitates the 2 yearly coolant change, although I put some long life synthetic coolant in last year which is supposed to last 4 years. :)

G

·
[/qb][/QUOTE]Unless you live in Scotland where the water is soft and lovely, tastes err...........nice, and doesn't cover your kettle in gubbins wink

...or West Yorkshire, we have some of the finest water in the British Isles! Tastes lovely and leaves your hair nice and soft when you wash in it (if you've got any :D )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts