Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this..

Driving home .. nearing the end of the journey I could smell burning. Made it to the driveway by now the thing was really stinking! Turned the ignition off and smoke/steam began billowing from the bonnet.
Popped it open to see an absolute massacre ... Coolant everywhere.

The lid was firmly in place on the header and I could see no evidence of a split hose.

Would water pump failure produce an outcome like this.

... Not even a week old and already popped my Alfa cherry.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
When you say everywhere anywhere imperticular?
Has your rad got a blew screw at the top? Sometimes when they go they spray coolant everywhere.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My heater core pipes were touching the rear bank's heat shield and had a hole burnt through them. It looked like a crap design and any coolant leaking would boil instantly on the headers so I'd check there. You can see them with a flashlight from the top behind the plenum.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Could have blown one of the hoses at thermostat too, if its a twinspark? i have seen this happen personally, the pressure was large enough to pop the clip and the coolant just escaped and there was no splits in pipe. If you have gotten away with it? You need to spend some money on your coolant system pronto.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Could have blown one of the hoses at thermostat too, if its a twinspark? i have seen this happen personally, the pressure was large enough to pop the clip and the coolant just escaped and there was no splits in pipe. If you have gotten away with it? You need to spend some money on your coolant system pronto.
It's a 3.2V6 but defiantly a good place to check :)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
No problem :p I've posted loads before without reading fully :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. I had a good look at most of the pipework I could see.

Coolant was over the rocker covers, didnt appear to be from the radiaotor end or the bulkhead. The majority I would say was over the air filter housing and below however there was a small amount on the belt drive side too. Im guessing as mentioned above its found its way to a good hot spot and boiled itself silly.

It was towed away first thing this morning, as said I picked the car up 31/01 so a good 6 days .... At least its within my warranty period and maybe anything else liable to break will be identified before its too late!

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Did it come out of the pressure cap?

That's rated at 10 or 12 PSI.. but if your head gasket is gone, then the system could be getting pressurised and blowing out of the cap.

Try bleeding the radiator (screw on the back). If it hisses air, then it's head gasket.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had something similar, but nowhere near as bad.

Mine just popped the clip on the small hose that runs behind the plenum, the hose never fully came off though so maybe why it wasn't so bad - but i did get a bit of steam when sitting in traffic and a burny smell.

Took a while to locate as the coolant tended to drip onto the gearbox and evaporate.

Worth taking a look at that clip as it's pennies to replace.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the call today, it was the top radiator hose. Must have split on the underside as I checked the bloody thing.

Oh well problem resolved hopefully get to drive it a full week before the next issue...

Now to get some bits on order..

PS I am loving the site already! So many fast responses... Not like the smart arse comments im used to from the french car forums.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Got the call today, it was the top radiator hose. Must have split on the underside as I checked the bloody thing.

Oh well problem resolved hopefully get to drive it a full week before the next issue...

Now to get some bits on order..

PS I am loving the site already! So many fast responses... Not like the smart arse comments im used to from the french car forums.
Yup, you don't get that nonsense here! :)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Yep, try the 206 forum. If you want to know about chopping up your parcel shelf and fitting base speakers and amplifiers theres loads of help. Get a mechanical problem and very little help. Want tuning advice and they all know what to bolt on but don't know why.

C

·
0 Posts
Did it come out of the pressure cap?

That's rated at 10 or 12 PSI.. but if your head gasket is gone, then the system could be getting pressurised and blowing out of the cap.

Try bleeding the radiator (screw on the back). If it hisses air, then it's *** head gasket.

Ralf S.
***might be

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So as mentioned this problem was fixed but since I have been keeping an eye on things I have noticed the small top hose on the coolant tank after a journey will often hiss and dribble, the hose clip looks like it was replaced at the same time as the rad top hose... I have noticed a lot of **** in the coolant??? Could oil be back feeding somewhere ??

The car is going back in soon as the cruise control got stuck on and motor control system failed along with intermittent esr fault and what seems to be a missfire...

Shes running like a dog every now and then idling between 700 - 1000 rpm depending on temp.

Took it upon myself to get hold of an obd adapter and the torque app after looking over values I might have a gammy o2 sensor just to top things off !

Really struggling to enjoy the car at the moment!!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Do the hose up if it's leaking. ;)
**** in the coolant. Does it look like oil? If so then could be HG as it sounds like you cooked fairly well last time. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts