Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.8 16v change in 2.0 16v

Hi Folks,

My engine died on me a while ago. From the scrapers I bought a new one. But now i see this one does have ballance shafst, while my old one is a 1.8 (16v), and i ordered a 1.8... Do the ballance shafts automatically says its a 2.0? Whats the big problem to install a 2.0 in a 1.8 car, can i simpel change the chips like chiptuned ones? If it was that easy :confused:

Edit: It seems to be no rael problem, sombody did it once before without changing anything. I am not sure but the ECU seems to notice the different engine and adepts its self, any 1 of you have more idea`s? From squadra tuning i can get a 2.0 16v chip, that fits, for €30.- if the above does not work...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like you have a 2.0 alright. It should go straight in, the electroncs won't that different but I'd be more worried about it being from a MUCH newer car i.e. a 156 and it may be different in some minor but VERY annoying way.

wrinx

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wrinx said:
Sounds like you have a 2.0 alright. It should go straight in, the electroncs won't that different but I'd be more worried about it being from a MUCH newer car i.e. a 156 and it may be different in some minor but VERY annoying way.

wrinx
Well its the same cover and everything, mechanical, seems to be te same. The old engine has a code 46B, the other 47B... I really think its a 2.0l, i willl try to fit the gearbox later. By the way there are 96 stamps all over the place. But my question, what about the electronics? Can it be done with allmost 2 left hands :confused:

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
If it has balance shafts it is a 2.0 16v TS.

Make sure you fit all new belts & tensioners (and idealy a variator & maybe a water pump too)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup i quess its a 2.0l then, but what about the electronics, somebody did that ones? Or is it as simply as changing the chips?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I maybe found a new ecu, but how about the keycodes etc? Can a simply but a differnt ecu in the car?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The 2.0 16v 155 had an entirely different wiring loom and fuse box to all the other models. I would guess it's a ***** of a job to change...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bugger, the ECU looked the same. Well its over for this 155 then, i am not spending mutch more time for finding a 1.8. Thanks for all the help guys

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can be done! Asked a person who did the same thing, he even chiptuned it so he does have now 165hp from a 2.0 16v with only 140hp on paper. The chips are the same for the 1.8 and 2.0, programmed different ofcourse :cool:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im pretty sure there is a link in the ecu that changes the system over from a 1.8 to 2.0 its in the online manual.

You may have to source different driveshafts and hubs/brake discs, calipers etc... did you ge the 2.0 gearbox with it ?

a 2.0 engine is worth quite a lot of money

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i was under the impression that the ecu is the same for all 3 and adapts for each but the 1.8 doesnt have as many sensors ie the knock sensor but im not sure on this sorry.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Darn, everything is in place but i wont run. It starts rightaway but cutsoff rightaway (1,2 sec). It allways make alot of noise... Maybe an air leak? Well its dark now so cant work anymore. you got any ideas why it wont run?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
May be a silly question, but have you got enough fuel in it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ecu should be able to tell you which sensor/ problem is stoping the engine... read the fault codes out of the ecu, thers a sticky post on this site somewhere of how to do it

the 2.0 L may have had more sensors, but the ecu will be the same, its just a general boash part, there is nothing special about how a 2.0 16v is set up

·
Registered
98 Posts
The cutoff in 1-2 secs made a bell ring. Fore other reasons i have tried starting my 2.0 16V without the MAF connected - it starts normally but stop within 1-2 secs !

Just a thought.

Keep the spirit up.
:)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes i agree the maf sensor could be the problem, but also there are two connectors the same,they fit the maf sensor and i think the other one is for the throttle potentiometer,make sure there the right way round.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then a stupid question from me, but what is the MAF and maybe more important where is it?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Follow the air intake from the filter box, you'll see a wire plugged in to it about halfway along, that;s the AFM.....crap description so hope it helps.

Will look for a photo.

wrinx

1 - 20 of 24 Posts